Yello Fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
We have just recently gotten in a beardie at work. Pretty much a 'dump it and leave it' situation.
My guess is a male, under 1 yr of age.

I have reason to believe that despite his mild MBD, he has that yellow fungus some members have complained about at one time.
It is around the left side of his stomach, arm, and neck. Yellowy-white, scales partially damaged.

I would like to know first what yellow funus is and does.
And is there anything I can do in the meantime before we take it to the vet and if we have to or not?

Menolly

Juvie Member
Hey,
You really really should PM Drache613, since she is very knowledgable about this, but I in the meantime I will post what she posted on a different thread about yellow fungus to help you out. Have you taken your beardie to the vet?

Until then, get some witch hazel astringent & some lamisil to put on the area. Treat that 1-2 times daily. It is usually pretty effective.
Get the vet to do a skin culture to determine what type of bacteria or fungus it is. The culture will take 5-7 days normally to grow.
You can buy those products at a grocery store or a drug store. Try looking on http://www.herpvetconnection.com Maybe there might be someone around?
Keep the affected areas very clean.
Are you soaking her in nolvasan or just using cream? I suggest soaking her daily in witch hazel astringent, diluted into her bathwater. That helps alot.
Then use the topical creams afterwards. Has she been on any medications, namely Albon, for long periods of time for anything?
No they normally are not in pain, but, with it in that many areas, it is going to make it hard to treat effectively. Good luck! It can make them very sick if it isn't taken care of quickly, unfortunately.

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
We haven't been able to take it to the vet unfortunately. I told my boss that it appeared to be a fungus and she said "lets have her shed first and see if it comes off" and I was like, whatever. I KNOW that it won't magically come off which is why I asked for a allieviating remedy of some sort for the meanwhile, until he sheds of course. -rolls eyes-

He is healthy otherwise. No runny poor, lethargy, eats well, runs around, etc. I know too that it doesn't mean he WON'T get sick.
If you don't mind me asking, what is a hazel astringent and lamisil? (do you have pics?) and you said that I can get them from the drugstore/grocery store right? ^^

And by keeping the area clean do you suggest taking him off sand? (of course I would like to anyway)
So far all that I have done is give him soaks to hurry the shedding process and keep him hydrated. Feed him dusted crickets and fresh greens, unlike he did with his previous owner.

I'm glad to know its not painful too because he is sweet. Hopefully when he sheds (which he is close to!) she'll see that I was right all along...and we can take him to the vet. I even offered to pay for beardie sake!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Could you post some pictures of the yellow fungus, I would really like to see it & how severe it is. It is imperative that you begin treatment on it if you haven't already or it will continue to get worse. The longer you wait for treatment the more it can spread. MOST of the time, when they begin exhibiting external signs of yellow fungus, it is manifesting from internal fungus & it will not go away & will need to be treated with an oral antifungal medication.
Have you had the dragon on any antibiotics for any length of time recently or in the past?
Yes please take him off of the sand so it doesn't irritate any areas that could be bothering him.
I could really use a picture please. Thanks.

Tracie

i know this isnt my thread but i too would like to see this yellow fungus, big boss is getting oddly shapped yellow lines intermixed with his normally dark beard i dont have a cam good enough to show pics and google images keeps giving me mixed images

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I'm sorry I haven't posted... something rather dramatic has transpired over the weeks. I've been at the hospital most of the time.

Anyway, the fungus turned out to be, well, not fungus so, no alarm, but thank you for all of your help =D Truly.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh I hope everything is ok with you & your family.
So it was not yellow fungus then? Do you know what it was??
I am glad that he is alright then. Let us know if you need any other help.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom