Yawning or Resp. Infection

reiddragons

Hatchling Member
Hey folks,

I have given my beardie a couple baths a week lately. I'm beginning to grow concerned he has a URI.

I'm ot hearing any gurgling sounds and there's no discharge, my only reason for worry is that he has, in the past half hour of being outside his tank hanging out with me, made two big yawning motions. When he opened his mouth it looked like there was a line of spit in the back, like when you open your lips and a tiny string of spit goes from the top lip to the bottom one? He had one of those in the back corner of his mouth, but no discharge, or rapid/noisy breathing.

He is also trying to brumate, I think, as he's not necessarily more lethargic than normal but he's not eating much. Any thoughts?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Any crackling wheezing noises? Can you post a video of him yawning and inside of the mouth- record on YouTube then post the link--- what is the humidity in the tank -- basking temps and how are you taking them? No stick ons please they are inaccurate-- also UVB brand and bulb where in the tank is it ---- No Coils please
Karrie

reiddragons

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":70sz9uua said:
Any crackling wheezing noises? Can you post a video of him yawning and inside of the mouth- record on YouTube then post the link--- what is the humidity in the tank -- basking temps and how are you taking them? No stick ons please they are inaccurate-- also UVB brand and bulb where in the tank is it ---- No Coils please
Karrie

UVB is. a Reptisun T5 HO and he has a digital thermometer and humidity meter.

Basking temp is ~101 F and humidity is ~28%.
No wheezing noise, slight crackling maybe? Just the sound like a tiny click when he first opens his mouth to yawn, no sound after that.
I don't have video right now, he's asleep for the night and my wife uses his room for work so I won't be able to be in there tomorrow until the evening. Here's a video I found on YouTube of another beardie doing the same thing, but I need to point out that my guy only yawns once and then goes back to normal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-raS6qRojs - Basically, watch the first ten seconds, that's what he did twice tonight.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That is a yawn and a stretch mine do the same thing -- the T 5 UVB is where in the tank ? Top of screen or inside the tank ? Distance and placement are imperative here
Karrie

reiddragons

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2s0z6gad said:
That is a yawn and a stretch mine do the same thing -- the T 5 UVB is where in the tank ? Top of screen or inside the tank ? Distance and placement are imperative here
Karrie

The top of the screen (I know, that's why I got the HO option.)
It's over the majority of the tank, the end of it is next to the heat lamp so it can hit the basking area.

I recently took him to a vet, they didn't notice anything regarding a URI.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I dont think he has a RI --- the video is a dragon stretching and yawning-- if the screen on your tank is a fine mesh screen like a screen door it needs to be inside the tank - the screen will block 30% of the rays --if the UVB needs to be in the tank distance from basking decor should be 12-15 inches ---- if the screen is a wide hole type it can stay on top but you want the basking distance 8-10 inches directly under it
Karrie

bleav913

Hey folks,

I have given my beardie a couple baths a week lately. I'm beginning to grow concerned he has a URI.

I'm ot hearing any gurgling sounds and there's no discharge, my only reason for worry is that he has, in the past half hour of being outside his tank hanging out with me, made two big yawning motions. When he opened his mouth it looked like there was a line of spit in the back, like when you open your lips and a tiny string of spit goes from the top lip to the bottom one? He had one of those in the back corner of his mouth, but no discharge, or rapid/noisy breathing.

He is also trying to brumate, I think, as he's not necessarily more lethargic than normal but he's not eating much. Any thoughts?
Hey! I know it’s been awhile since you posted this and you may not even see this, but I was wondering if you ever figured out what this was. And if your dragon was okay. Mine is doing all of the exact same things right now!

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom