Yarn. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirenique

Hatchling Member
So I'm finishing up a crochet project just in time for the holidays, and I had a small pile of inch-long yarn pieces sitting on my bed. I let Bones wander around my apartment during the daytime, and somehow he managed to sneak up onto my bed. We were cuddling, but then he tore off and ate one of the inch-long strips of yarn! I threw the rest of the scraps away immediately, but I can't imagine yarn is going to be easy for him to digest.

Help? Can I make this easier for him to pass by feeding him certain foods? Can this cause impaction? :(

Bones is about 9 months old, and in otherwise wonderful health.

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
I don't know the answer to your question but you need to move this to Beardie ER so you will get more answers. hope you get your answer and that he is okay

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Moved here from Feeding forum so it would get more attention.

Sorry to hear that this happened. It's hard to say for sure if it will cause any problems or not, depends it it gets entangled or gets stuck anyway on the way through. It would be a good idea to feed some warmed babyfood applesauce or 100% canned pumpkin to which you have added a drop or 2 of vegetable oil. Either of those should help lube things up so that he can hopefully pass it easier. Also be sure to keep him well hydrated and if you can get some oral fluids into him, that would be a good idea also. Be sure to monitor him closely and watch for problems, signs of choking or having problems breathing, a darkened beard and/or tail, etc. Would be a good idea to watch his poop to be sure he passes it in a few days. Be sure to keep us updated.

coastergirl946

Hatchling Member
If the above don't work, I would suggest feeding him some organic baby food prunes (helped my boyfriend's beardie to finally poop on his own without pain after he had suffered 3 impactions in a row) until he passes it, along with giving him a warm soak once a day.
Please let us know how he is doing.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Definitely let us know how he is doing.
Thankfully, he is a little older so his intestines have straightened out more than when he was a younger dragon. I hope that he wont have any problems passing the yarn!

Tracie

sirenique

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
As of right now, things are fine. He had a very big poop this morning and it was normal looking, and (sorry if it's gross) but I didn't find any yarn in it. I'm going to keep checking his stool until I see traces of yarn just to be sure he's passed it an there are no issues before I go on vacation for the New Year.

In the meantime I'm feeding him organic baby food squash with drops of vegetable oil mixed in, and apple sauce. He ate some crix this morning, and he's active and basking, so I think he's feeling okay :) I feel very positive seeing him have regular bowel movements and appetite, so I'm hoping the yarn will not pose a major issue. I am also going to try the advice of giving him a warm soak, although he hates baths so he's not gonna be happy! haha :roll:

Thank you to everyone for your advice!! I will post back if I notice any more issues with him!

coastergirl946

Hatchling Member
sirenique":1zb2tlws said:
I am also going to try the advice of giving him a warm soak, although he hates baths so he's not gonna be happy! haha :roll:

Curt hates his baths so much. :lol: He is the ultimate cranky dragon in the bath: he scrambles to get out, flattens himself out, puffs his beard, gives us a death stare, and sometimes will even bob his head and darken his beard. I have pics of him with his beard still dark up to an hour after his bath. The water is always at the right temperature and is never above his armpit/shoulder, so that isn't the problem. Sometimes he will literally jump back from the mist bottle too.. what a big baby. :roll: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivannam17
Top Bottom