Xena threw a bloodclot, caused necrotic tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

blondie098

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Hi Denise,

I was having board problems that night too, so I totally understand! I never got the reply, so the ultimate cybermonsters must have had a snack on your PM :mrgreen: I do hope your back is OK! Are you feeling better each day?

We did take her bandage off today -- she wasn't real happy about it, all-told it took over 10 minutes to get it off! It looks kinda freaky, and there is a little (grayish) area at the very tip -- is that of concern?

She has had a few times of stress / pain today, but not nearly as many... my Droid has a touchy focus, but maybe this shows enough to get an idea if its looking proper at 48-hours post-op? Remember, the doc put some type of artificial skin over the wound, so this is not raw exposed flesh... its a real thin translucent covering.
xenatail091510-1.jpg

xenatail091510-2.jpg

blondie098

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I just went to pet my baby girl, and her booboo is pink/red where the doc cut -- it didn't look like that a few hours ago when we took her bandage off... with the artificial skin, its not actively seeping -- but what do I do if it does?!?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Dawn,

That end looks pretty good. So, it is not weeping any liquids or fluids out then right now? Well, that is good. If it does start weeping fluids, you can get a piece of gauze to put over the end of it & gently use some surgical tape, that is not very sticky. It probably wont stay on much during the day, so you could just apply it overnight to keep it clean as much as possible.
It will be pinkish following a surgery which is normal yes. The end will take some time to heal over & close up. Just make sure there is not anything in her tank that she can bump it on.
Did the vet give you any silvadene cream to apply to the end of her tail? If not, you could use an antibiotic ointment just to help out if needed.
How is she doing?

Tracie

blondie098

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Drache613":2z0ji1x8 said:
Did the vet give you any silvadene cream to apply to the end of her tail? If not, you could use an antibiotic ointment just to help out if needed.
The only thing we brought home was the Critical Care/Carnivore Care to have on hand (future use if needed after she lays).

Would Neosporin be ok if its needed? Apply with clean fingers? Or qtip? I just want to be prepared for that middle-of-the-night emergency stuff that dragons seem to always pull... they can never do the scary stuff during the day in this house!

blondie098

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
ok, Dr. just returned my call personally (I feel special!) She was given Fortaz for her antibiotic shot, its 300mL and she was dosed at 0.04 (she is 654 grams)

He didn't give pain meds because of the eggs... but he did say that if she is still having the darkening spells, maybe try an arthritis type OTC rub that has capcasin (sp?) I have arthritis, so I will read all my labels for my creams... he said to apply just a tiny bit to the end of her tail (not on the wound itself) and see if that deadens the pain for her...

He also confirmed that a little of the gray on her last scales is normal, because the amputation is changing all of her circulation patterns down there... so we're looking good for the wound, its is healing nice at this stage.

She did pick out all her squash from her plate today, scoffed at her favorite greens... wasn't sure if it was real disinterest or just spoiled stubbornness, so I offered two supers ... she nearly took my finger off, li'l booger. So our little "princess" is getting an attitude, eh? I still love her to pieces!

She is not having any part of holding still for me to get a pic of her tail right now... its like the "no no area" or something...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Dawn,

How is your Xena princess tonight?
The neosporin would also be fine to apply onto the tail tip, too. The capsaisin is the active component of chili peppers which could help with a numbing action & help to reduce pain in a localized area.
Yes, the changing of the scales is just the circulation changing due to blood vessels being severed in that area. The circulation should improve with time, to the rest of her tail now. It does sound like she is healing up well. Plus, she is getting an attitude too! :blob8:
The Fortaz is fine. He dosed her at 20mg/kg which is fine. That should take care of any infection that might have been brewing.
So she prefers her supers over her greens of course, what else! At least she had some squash though, but watch your fingers next time, or she might have one of those too! :D

Keep us posted!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom