wrinkles when bogey stands up?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessd123

i dunno whats goin on i just bought him a new uvb bulb yesterday, i notced he didnt eat as much yesterday but he let out a gigantic poop, the biggest i've seen him ever take, and he is being very lazy today and when he stood up he had some pretty bad wrinkles on both of his sides i sprayed him down with alot of water... when he lays down they go away... but thats a given... i dunno what to do?! it seems like everything i do isnt right. does anyone know what could cause this? im scared... this is what our other beardie looked like before she died... im really worried.

Lennifer

Juvie Member
Sometimes if the skin appears too wrinkly, it could be a sign of dehydration. If this is the cae, I would suggest giving him warm soaks daily & trying some pedialyte.

~Sandy

Jessd123

Original Poster
man i am so scared to give him a bath... our other one died that way just this weekend... i dont think her bones were strong enough to handle the way she was swimming... i know im probably gonna have to do it though... i know he's alot bigger and stronger than she was but i am just terrified... i do have the unflavored pedilyte... is it ok for him to drink that if it is diluted?

Lennifer

Juvie Member
Your other dragon just passed away & had the same symptoms? Is there any way u can take a poo sample to the vet? I don't mean to scare u but often when one dragon is sick, if it is parasites, they can pass it to each other. I have never used Pedialye but I have heard that it is great for rehydrating. Some people say to warm the pedialyte (as u would w/ bath water) & let him soak in it. Other people say to give them the Pedialyte by dripping it onto their mouth w/ a syringe. Do u know how much your beardie weighs? Beautiful Dragons.com says that fluids are generally calculated based on 1-2 % of bodyweight during a 24 hour period. They actually have a table/chart (under dehydration) which will show u how many cc's to give per your beardie's weight. If u know how much he/she weighs, I can look up the amount for u.

~Sandy

Lennifer

Juvie Member
I forgot to ask what kind of UVB bulb u just purchased? If u could give us a run down of your set up...that may help us identify any other issues that may be going on. What kind of substrate do u use? What kind of lighting & what are your temps? ALso, what kind of foods do u feed & waht supliments are u using/dusting with? How old is your beardie? Sorry to ask so many questions, just trying to help;)

~Sandy

Jessd123

Original Poster
we are using a repti-glo 8. thats what kinda they said to buy, i have 1 100 watt and another 65 watt towards the middle of the tank to keep it a good temp the uvb is on his basking side as well as the 100 watt bulb he is about 7-8 inches away from it i did a temp test this morning and it is approx. 103.9 where he basks. i thought it migh thave been too hot with that bulb but its only 103 which is still a bit confusing.. i have a digi therm. with a 39 i inch probe. im not exactly sure how much he weighs my mom has a jewelry scale though do u think that would work? im using repti carpet and we clean it every day and change it every 2 1/2 weeks. i called the vet and she is gone until monday... the symtoms she had were a little different she looked more malnourished than anything.. very wrinkly all the time even after she ate. which was hardly ever. .. when she finally regained her appetite back it would take her up to 4 days to poop and he doesnt even have close to that problem, he poops once a day... if he skips a day thats it though.. no more than 2 days with out poopin. which i assure u i kept her well fed and plenty of vitamin supplements... we use the rep-cal calcium with vit.d powder that says to only use once to twice a week though so we use another one which is the regular reptocal we use that every day usually and the rep-cal every other day to maybe 2 times a week, spray him 2-3 times a day... i try to feed him veggies but the only thing he will really eat is baby food i usually give him peas, and sweet potatoes and i mix water and a tiny bit of dragon dust into it. and he is about 5 1.2 months old. sorry to jumble everything together like that... i just wanted to answer all ur questions. i have one question as well... how much does it normally cost to take them to the vet? thats what i fear the most... i cant even afford for myself to go to the drs.... but i'd like to think of him as a kid so he definitly comes first.

Lennifer

Juvie Member
I'm actually getting ready to leave work & don't have internet @ home so hopefully someone else will come & help u a bit more. I actually just took Drago to the vet last week & it cost me $40 for an exam & $26 to have a fecal exam done on his poo. SOme vets will let u just drop off the poo sample & not do the exam. This will save u a bit of money but it would probably be best to have the eaxm done as well. I live in Maryland & I'm sure all vet prices are diff depending on where u live. I will have to ocme back on later & re-read your post...gotta make the ban run for work! lol

~Sandy

Jessd123

Original Poster
i actually just got done feeding him the wrinkles have seemed to subside alot... do u think maybe because he is still growing would make him look that way? he looks alot better since he ate and im continuing to spray him every 2-3 hrs. just to make sure he is well hydrated. like i said the vet is gone until monday but i may be able to get a poo sample up to her on tuesday. i want to really bring him in however; she is almost 2.5 hrs away. woul dit be okay to have him out of his lights for that long? its still a little chilly around here.. we are in pa... so its a little cooler than in maryland. let me know! thanks so much for all ur help!

Lennifer

Juvie Member
Good morning!
Sry I took so long. I'm actually surprised nobody else replied to your post. I re-read your post & I have to say everything u r doing so far is great!! I'm so glad u have the ReptiGlo 8! That & the ReptiSun 10 are the most recomended bulbs that don't cause issues & have the best UVB rays. Just make sure when your spraying him, that it's not inside his enclosure because this could cause humidity issues...which can lead to respitory infections. It will be fine for him to go to the vet & be w/out his lights for that long but if the weather is chilly, I would purchase a heat pack & wrap it in a towel & let your beardie lay on it for the car ride;) If u decide to take him, keep us posted. U will feel so much better to KNOW that everything is ok. Honestly, I'm not sure what a jewelry scale looks like but if if has a "tare" button/function...then u should be able to use this. U can lay a flat object/board on the scale, then hit tare & it will go back to 0 as the weight. Now u can put your beardie on the board & get an accurate weight for just him...not the board. lol

~Sandy

Jessd123

Original Poster
yeah i think u are def. right.. i would like to just get him up there to check and make sure everything is alright.. no parasites or any type of other issues.. i know he's never been to the vet before, i know petsmart says all thier animals are vet assured but that is bullcrap. im currently having alot of troubles with my temp readings, i have another post labeled "100 watt bulb wont produce much heat" been doing temp checks daily and it still isnt seeming to be the right temp.. as for the jewelry scale it doesnt have that button, my mom works in a pawn shop so its more like a drug scale just used for legit things lol such as gold, i borrowed it from her and calibrated it correctly and sat him in a bowl on top of it... it said he weight 6 ounces but it shifted many times so i dont think that was a correct reading.. i am trying to get him up there next week because she is booked all this week. he hasnt been wrinkly the past few days but ive been giving him baths in the sink which i find is much easier than the bathtub and he seems to be just fine now... maybe a little overweight honestly... he is a big eater lol. he ate 16 bigger crickets yesterday and almost half a jar of baby food and he is poopin once to twice a day... so thats a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom