wrinkled eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoapDish

Hi I'm new here and my beardie laid a clutch of 14 eggs 3 days ago. out of the 14 all but 4 of the eggs are wrinkled up. I candled the 4 "good" ones and can see yolk, but I didn't want to handle the other ones more than I had to. They all started out nice and I moved them over to a makeshift incubator and now some of them are wrinkling. Does anyone know why this is happening?

the temp is 84-85
and the eggs are in a plastic sandwich box with vermiculite (there are holes in the box and the lid is resting on top. it has holes as well)
there water in the bottom of the tank and the egg box is sitting just about the water.

dawnki

Juvie Member
hello and welcome!

Often the eggs are wrinkled -----when put in a humid environment, gain moisture and expand to fill up the wrinkles. They ~should~ be alright

spyder79

Extreme Poster
if your humidity is correct they should plump up in a few days. but if they dont you will need to freeze them and toss them. does your incubator hold its temps and humidity well?
what is the humidity in your incubator? You want the temp to be around 80-85 and your humidity to be between 60-80%.
If you took a pic of the eggs i could let you know if its normal

also this would get more responses if moved to the breeding section just so you know

SoapDish

Original Poster
OK that makes me feel better. I wasn't ready for the female to lay eggs since I was told she was a he. :roll: She laid her eggs within hours of me putting in a nest box, so I set up a 10 gal aquarium with a heat lams and a side mounted heat pad. I put a plastic bag under the screen top and have a towel over the top and it is keeping the temp steady between 83 and 85 degrees. Humidity seems to be staying at about 62% at the top of the tank. I have been misting 1-2 times a day and I noticed that they do seem to be plumping up. I was getting worried since I thought they should plump up within hours. I am not expecting much and wouldn't be heartbroken if I lose them since I know I'm not properly set up. I would however like to learn from this in case I choose to breed any beardies in the future. Thanks for the help

I didn't see the breeding forum until after I posted this, but I think you gave me all the info I need at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthPenumbra
Top Bottom