Wow, what a difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musicmeg

Hello everyone. I just finished building a new double decker beardie enclosure for my boys and moved them into it today. I put all their old decor in so it wouldn't be completely new to them. I also moved their old basking equipment in as well. Previously they were housed in open top aquariums with screen tops. I was using a 100 watt heat emitter in one and a 150 watt basking bulb in the other. It was able to get them warm enough and hot if I chose to move the basking platform higher. Most of the heat escaped out the screen top. Their new enclosure is so well insulated even with the vent ports that the temperatures are quite warm. The hot side was 110 degrees and the cools side 85 in one and 90 in the other! I am now experimenting with lower wattage bulbs to see if I can get a better gradient. So far they seem to be liking the extra room as well as liking that they can see what the family is up to now instead of being tucked away in another room. I will post pics once I take some and figure out how to upload them.

Musicmeg

Original Poster
OK. Hopefully these photos work. I am so happy to have my guys in a more appropriate enclosure. This new enclosure is 48x18x18-ish. Before Yoshi was in a 46 gallon bow front aquarium only 36 inches long. Googlet was in a standard 55 gallon aquarium that was 48x12. Far to narrow for his long body and tail. Enjoy![

coffeebutt

Oh man these are gorgeous and they came out so nice!! I cannot wait to do something similar for my bearded dragon when I move into a house...I'm sure they really appreciate all that space.

Musicmeg

Original Poster
Thank you! I bought them new hides today which they have yet to use. I also made and hung fleece hammocks for them. Yoshi is currently snuggled up in his. It is the first soft thing he has every really had.

warhawk

Those are some nice enclosures.

Did you use glass or plexi for the front? I want to build something very similar but plexi will double the cost of the build so not sure I want to use that. Glass is cheaper but then you have the issue of glass and risk of breaking.

Musicmeg

Original Poster
Thank you! I used plexiglass. I think the only real disadvantage is that it can scratch easily.

warhawk

Do you have any photos while building the enclosure?

I'm wanting to build one my self but not sure what is the best way yet. I thought about building them a separate enclosures and stack them on top of each other that would allow me to move them around. But I could build them as one large unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom