worried Gwen is impacted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, not sure I can be as much help as some of the other posters on here but I have a couple of suggestions. What are your night temps like? When I first got Scaleface he acted a little strangely because it was too cool at night. Maybe you could try keeping your beardie a bit warmer at night and see how she gets on? Also I was told by a few people who breed beardies that their basking temp can be as high as 110. Although that might not help you if she doesn't want to bask!

Can you feel any obstructions if you gently feel your beardie's tummy? Does she seem to feel uncomfortable if you touch her there? If it carries on you may be better off taking her to the vet. I think beardies with mbd are supposed to have some kind of special calcium therapy as their bones are prone to weakness. After the dreadful experience I had with my poor Scaleface I wouldn't hesitate to consult a vet if you're worried about an ongoing problem. Sorry I can't be more useful, but I know how horrible it is not knowing what's wrong. It sounds like you're a very caring person so I'm sure your beardie is in good hands. Good luck!

pappy1264

Original Poster
Thank you. She doesn't seem to be bothered when I rub her belly and I can't really feel anything, although she does feel puffy to me. I gave her some oil mixed with plain pumpkin two days in a row, as well. She doesn't seem to want to stay up under the basking light for very long, which I think may be part of the issue but I can't make her stay there. I am wondering if I should get rid of the thing she is up on to bask and figure out a way to drop the light down really low so she does not need to get up on anything to bask. I think she was in much worse shape then the person I got her from told me. I have dealt with MBD in a crested gecko before (and a sugar glider) but this is my first beardie (btw, they both came to me with MBD, it was not from my not taking proper care of them. I was able to save the glider, but sadly I lost the crestie. But his issue was a genetic thing, he was not able to absorb calcium, not from him not getting enough.) I am very sorry about your baby. I read your post about him. So awful. I love Gwen so much. She was supposed to be for my 12 yo daughter, but with her issues, I have been taking care of her and she is just so sweet. I just want her to be ok.
She also keeps doing what looks like she is gulping, I tried looking that up but did not find anything. Any idea what that is? It is almost like a hiccup the way she moves her head, but not her body. She doesn't open her mouth, but she does seem to swallow after. Also, I posted a pic of a reddish stain on the paper towels, which there are several, what is that?

It's so worrying when they're sick. I know what you're going through. :cry: I have no idea what the strange stains are on the tissue. Scaleface never had much trouble pooping, apart for when I first got him, so I've not seen anything like that before. It looks sort of brownish, could it be blood? I hate to worry you but am just suggesting anything I can think of. It doesn't look like diarrhoea.

As for the basking maybe you could take out the log and turn the heat up a bit so Gwen can bask on the ground? Maybe she would prefer that. The only trouble is she still needs to be able to get within 8-10 inches of the uvb.

Do you have any local reptile experts/vets you could call up and get some advice? I found that ringing a local breeder when I was worried about Scaly settling in really eased my mind. I know how pricey it can be taking pets to the vet. It just cost me £150 this week. And Scaly didnt even pull through. :(

Does Gwen seem alert and perky in herself? I think if there is a serious problem beardies show clear discomfort and their personalities show them to be unwell.

pappy1264

Original Poster
Her mouth isn't open when she does it. She is very quiet, but she has been since she came here. I think she is alot sicker then this person told me.

If she's quiet and not being active or alert then it may be that you have to take to the vet. Sorry I can't be more helpful. All I can really say is that by the time Scaleface showed signs of illness it was too late and I'd hate for you to lose Gwen. Do you have a decent local vet or would you have to travel far? How is she doing right now?

pappy1264

Original Poster
She is the same, quiet. Just put her greens in, will see if she will eat. Still no poop. I know of a herp vet (at least I believe she is one, she saw my gecko that I got that had MBD). I also have calcium glubonate liquid, I may see if she wants me to give that to Gwen. I think part of her issue may be the MBD. I know in gliders, they have a really hard time going potty when they have it. Thank you.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....Gwen looks to be in pretty good shape in the pics for having had MBD. Does she have any deformities, even a misaligned jaw that aren't showing in the pics ? Is she crippled in any way ? Sorry if I missed that. At any rate, she is probably stressed + depressed from the relocation.[ clinical use of the word for an animal who is lethargic, uninterested ] She may have a very laid back personality as well as possibly having had very little chance to exercise, so a combination of personality + environment. As far as not pooing in 10 days, her system is sluggish from thoe things I just mentioned, as well as possibly oversupplementation with calcium powder. Does she eat the greens you give her ? Her diet sounds O.K., but you might want to try hornworms to help her poo, they contain alot of moisture, and most beardies love them. You can also try a bath that is a bit deeper than normal so she almost has to swim, but be very careful that you stay right with her. A trip outside can also induce a poo at times, the sheer excitement and warmth from the sun may do it. If you haven't done so already, let her out for supervised exercise. Another trick along with olive oil or pumpkin is to mix a bit of honey [ unpasteurized is best ] with warm water + dribble it on her mouth along with the olive oil. They usually will lick the honey solution right away. But all in all, 10 days between poos is not an emergency, some beardies only go once a week, and sometimes as long as 2 or more. As for the spots on the paper towel, most likely blood from the superworms.Try not to stress too much, she looks like a big girl, and her system is just a bit slow.

pappy1264

Original Poster
Ok, thank you so much! I was told she had MBD (she was supposedly kept in a very small rubbermaid container, with no lights, before this person got her. That is what I was told.) Her jaw is not misaligned that I can see. I didn't know how often beardies went to begin with. She did say she went every day with her. One thing I am going to do it make a better basking area for her, as she really cannot climb up it (although can get down.) I am going to get the styromfoam and stuff and make her a spot that has a ramp on both ends and she can go under to rest for her hide spot. She has not touched her greens I put in this morning but was next to her basking spot (again, she cannot climb up herself, I have to make her something better.) Where do I order horn worms? I will get the honey and try that, as well. She is such a sweet girl, never tries to bite, even with all the trying to get her to take the oil/pumpkin. I will try to get a front and side close up of her face so you can see her jaw area.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can order hornworms from Great Lakes hornworm, Lindasgonebuggy or Mulberry farms. They are expensive compared to other insects, so if you need superworms too, you might order them all together and see who can give you the best price including shipping. The hornworms grow very quickly, so if they arrive at a length of 2 inches, they can quadruple in size [ girth , or fatness ] and double in length in a week. If your girl is sluggish, keep trying to get her to eat greens, they contain so many nutrients and can also help her to poo. Get her in the sun for about 45 minutes a day, too, but keep her in an area where she won't be frightened by other people or animals. By the way, the easiest way to get a reptile's mouth open is to get a stiff piece of cardboard, like from a cereal box, and gently wedge it in her mouth, always very gently.The dragon will open their mouth + you can slip the tip of the syringe in quickly. If you are using a syringe, use plastic, not glass in case she bites down on it. Try to get extra water in her, too.

pappy1264

Original Poster
Ok, thank you. I will try to get her outside, since it is finally warming up here! Thanks for the tip on the cardboard (I do use plastic 1 cc syringes). I will look into the worms, as I do need to order the supers anyway.

mazais

pappy1264":32o7ns2b said:
She also keeps doing what looks like she is gulping, I tried looking that up but did not find anything. Any idea what that is? It is almost like a hiccup the way she moves her head, but not her body. She doesn't open her mouth, but she does seem to swallow after.

She might have upper respiratory infection. ( what you described sounds like gulping for air). :( but I'm unsure, im a beginner beardie owner, too. :D
But I hope you'll beardie will be ok!!! :D

pappy1264

Original Poster
She still has not pooped, won't really eat much, and her gulping seems to be happening more. She did drink water from the tub one day during her bath, but seemed fine and it did not come back out her nose or anything.

Lenewen

Juvie Member
Have you had her tested for parasites? trouble with pooping and stinky poo are typically related to an overload of parasites. Take a sample the next time she poos since it's so rarely and get it to a vet STAT. After 24hrs, the sample is no good. Refrigerate it between the time you collect it and the time you present it to the vet.

You could also mail a sample of stool to Cheryl at beardeddragon.co, she does fecal floats to find parasites for just $5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom