worried Gwen is impacted

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappy1264

I have had her since Friday and she has not pooped yet! I gave her a bath, nothing. I read about using veggie oil, but how do I get her to take it? She had MBD before and problems with impaction (she was in a bad situation, and someone got her and got her healthy, I adopted her from that person on Friday.) She won't go under the basking light, when I tried, she panicked and then got stuck. I have an UTH and she lays on that (it is for 30/40 gals and she is in a 40 gal breeder.) Help...I don't want to loose her, but I don't know how to get her to poop. Her diet consists of greens (mustard greens and chard) a little butternut squash (which she has not touched), and superworms dipped in calcium, which she is taking about 4 a day. Please tell me what to do to help her. When I gave her a bath, I was rubbing her stomach and encouraging her to move around, but no poop.

Lenewen

Juvie Member
Use an eyedropper and give her a few drops of Olive Oil on her nose for her to lick off 2x a day until she poops.

Too much calcium causes constipation. Whenever I cant get mine to poop, I stop giving calcium until they do. (Usually only takes a couple days.) Adult beardies only need calcium 2-3x a week; sounds like you are giving it daily right now. With MBD, I understand the need for extra calcium. But be careful because she will get constipated frequently.

What kind of UVB light are you using? With MBD risk, it is a really good idea to have either the arcadia 12% tube bulb or the ReptiSun 10.0 since UVB is the only way all that extra calcium will be absorbed.

What are your basking temperatures? Adults like their basking temps to be around 95 degrees. Maybe yours is too hot for her? UTH's are great but they don't help with food digestion because the heat cannot be absorbed through the tummy area. You could always try taking her outside if it's above 70 degrees. Natural UVB absorbed through her back that way might do the trick.

pappy1264

Original Poster
A friend told me to get some canned pumpkin (just got back). I am waiting on my digital therm (had to order one couldn't get one at Walmart in the store). I have just the regular therm that hang inside an aquarium (the metal ones) but under the 100 watt bulb is only show at 80 degrees! I have the lamp with that bulb right next to the reptisun 10.0 one. Do I need a bigger watt bulb? Also should I not put the worms in calcium before feeding?

Lenewen

Juvie Member
Canned pumpkin works as long as there are no spices in it.

Your thermometer sounds way off. Don't increase or decrease anything based on it. Use that digital thermometer you ordered or a temp gun instead and adjust temps accordingly based on that reading. Your basking spot should be around 95-100 and the cool side should be at 80 by day.

Don't dust the worms until she poops. Once she poops, you can go back to normal calcium administration.

pappy1264

Original Poster
Just found a perfect rock outside she can climb up w/o falling, soaking it right now. Hopefully she will feel more comfortable on that and will actually go under the basking light. (now, anyone have any idea how to get a beardie to actually eat pumpkin?)

Lenewen

Juvie Member
I either drop it on the tip of their nose using a dropper and hope they lick it off or I gently open their mouth and squirt it in :)

pappy1264

Original Poster
Put some on her nose, she just sat there with an orange nose. Ugh. I did give her another warm soak, but still no poop. I don't see her straining to go.

Lenewen

Juvie Member
try olive oil instead and just go ahead and open her mouth and put some inside.

It's risky, but you can put the pumpkin or olive oil on your finger and just stuff it in her mouth. You might get bit though, so be prepared! :lol:

pappy1264

Original Poster
I don't want her to bite me, she has never bitten. Can I try putting some on the end of a spoon?

Lenewen

Juvie Member
I've never tried a spoon-too big. I usually use small medicine droppers, can you get one of those and try it? You can ease the dropper past her lips much easier than a spoon.

pappy1264

Original Poster
Ok, used a needless syringe and got the oil in her (she wasn't happy, but did not offer to bite.) How much should I give her and how often? For food, should I only give the greens until she poops? She doesn't eat alot of the greens, actually to me she doesn't seem to eat a lot in general.

Lenewen

Juvie Member
No, keep giving her the worms as well as the greens. My adults don't eat much, this is normal. Just don't give her anymore calcium until she poops.

I give 0.1ml of olive oil per 100 grams of weight. An average adult is somewhere from 400-600g so based on her weight, give her 0.4-0.6mg of the olive oil.

pappy1264

Original Poster
Perfect, I gave 0.5. Ok, she has already had 4 super worms today (that was earlier with the calcium) should I offer any more or just greens for the rest of the day? Thank you so much, I am so new to this and feel so lost, but just want to take the best care possible of her, I love her so much already!!

Lenewen

Juvie Member
Don't worry, you're doing fine :)

Yes, she should be allowed to eat whenever she wants and however much she wants to eat. They don't overeat typically. Just hold off on the calcium. Don't worry, she'll poop. This sounds like a minor case of constipation and believe me, it won't be the first time ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom