Worried - first trip outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carterkins

Arnold's four, and we've only had him for a few months so I don't know if his old owners had taken him outside or not. It's a warm day outside and he just sat in the same spot for about ten minutes just looking around. So we gave him some crickets and and moved around a little. (Then he ate a dead leaf, which I'm also worrying about.) I started to notice his beard getting dark so I picked him up and he was jet black. Then all of the sudden his beard came out fully and he jumped out of my hands and ran to the corner of the garden, hiding behind/under plants. He moved so fast it was really strange. It took a while to get him out but he's back inside now and the black has faded a bit. I've never seen him act like that before. I'm really worried :(

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Don't worry. I've took my beardie outside 3 times in the 11 months i've had her (UK weather hasn't been great this year so far). Each time she's been very cautious and also displayed similar behaviour as yours. I took her outside yesterday and when i stroked her she puffed up her beard at me. She also tried to get to a cool spot and it took her ages to walk to it as she kept looking at the sky for 'predators'. Its new to them being outside and no wonder its scary for them. i think the more you take them outside, the more they'll get used to it and realise that its safe. Don't worry about the dead leaf he ate- if your garden hasn't been chemically sprayed then it'll be ok. Do you have a lead for him?- that way he can't escape if he runs off :D

My beardie is 4 months old and it was his first trip outside, Same behavior. sat for like 20 minutes staring in sky...

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
totally normal.. I have 2 beardies I take outside. One loves it, and would love to be outside all the time.. The other one however, Is full black beard, mouth wide open and ready to attack anything that comes near him.. And it takes him a bit to calm down when we come back in.

Carterkins

Original Poster
Thanks :) It was just scary seeing him like that, he's usually totally calm. He's back to normal now, sleeping on a rock. Hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom