Worried About UVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caitlinp99

Hi, I’ve been unable to get a replacement UVB lamp due to supplies with Covid, I ordered one that was showing in stock however I was then told early January, now it’s mid February. The lamps are out of stock everywhere, she’s been about 3.5 months without UVB, I still have her old lamp on but unsure if she’s getting anything from it.
The past 2 days, she’s been sitting in the same spot all day, no appetite at all, and she just looks lethargic. She laid infertile eggs about 3 weeks ago with no issues, but now I’m worried that the lack of UVB is causing this.
Can anyone help?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you using for a UVB? I need to know the brand and bulb and I will see if I can help here
T 5 or a T 8 tube ? Are you needing a hood as well ?

Caitlinp99

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2v1ikdky said:
What are you using for a UVB? I need to know the brand and bulb and I will see if I can help here
T 5 or a T 8 tube ? Are you needing a hood as well ?

It’s the Arcadia D3+ 12% UV Flood fitting. I tried putting her in the bath today and she seems to tense up when I touch her stomach, so I’m wondering if it could be impaction but she pooped yesterday in the bath. However, after laying her eggs she didn’t poop for a while until she eventually went in the bath one day. I have just given her some olive oil.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ae you in the states? I dont know of anyone that carries that bulb --- I have not seen that one--- I would recommend you changing over to something more common --- a single bulb like the one I posted and get a regular fixture w/ reflector -- like a Zoo Med or something like it --- your gonna have better luck finding that one than the one you have been searching for 3 1/2 months is way to long for a dragon to be w/ out UVB ---

Caitlinp99

Original Poster
KarrieRee":x1qmenlt said:
Ae you in the states? I dont know of anyone that carries that bulb --- I have not seen that one--- I would recommend you changing over to something more common --- a single bulb like the one I posted and get a regular fixture w/ reflector -- like a Zoo Med or something like it --- your gonna have better luck finding that one than the one you have been searching for 3 1/2 months is way to long for a dragon to be w/ out UVB ---

I’m in the UK, I bought this one because it’s the one Arcadia recommend I get. I’ve never had an issue getting her bulbs before, they’re having issues getting stock to stores because of the borders. I have emailed Arcadia and they said that they only lose about 20-30% of their energy by the 12 month which is how often you have to replace these ones.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That's normal expiration on the T 5-- I recommend you get something here she won't last long w/ out it she's showing signs now of being w/out it---

Caitlinp99

Original Poster
KarrieRee":tqu4vzy7 said:
That's normal expiration on the T 5-- I recommend you get something here she won't last long w/ out it she's showing signs now of being w/out it---

I have just ordered the same lighting unit just to get the bulb with it, it should hopefully be here within the next day or two. Do you think the light is causing this? She has been completely fine, behaviour and appetite wise, until the past 2 days. She seems uncomfortable being touched and is closing her eyes a lot, or doesn’t have them fully open.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
UVB and basking temps are the 2 most important things in the tank-- being w/ out UVB for long periods will cause a lot of issues-- watch her behavior after getting the UVB back in and see if it doesn't change- if it does not there is another issue going on

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry you are having trouble with your girl. How many eggs did she lay? Since she has
laid recently, she could be developing more eggs but hopefully her lethargic behavior isn't
due to egg problems. Is her beard black as if she were in distress?
Have you been giving her extra calcium right now to help replace her calcium loss from egg
development?

Tracie

Caitlinp99

Original Poster
Drache613":3snh8i17 said:
Hello,

So sorry you are having trouble with your girl. How many eggs did she lay? Since she has
laid recently, she could be developing more eggs but hopefully her lethargic behavior isn't
due to egg problems. Is her beard black as if she were in distress?
Have you been giving her extra calcium right now to help replace her calcium loss from egg
development?

Tracie

She laid her eggs about 3 weeks ago, she had 36 in total which is her normal amount. I fed her plenty of bugs with calcium afterwards. No black beard, but I am taking her to the vet today so hopefully I’ll find out what’s causing this.

Caitlinp99

Original Poster
Hi, just an update. I took her to the vet and she’s been hospitalised for x rays and blood tests.

Caitlinp99

Original Poster
Hi everyone. Cleo sadly passed away at the vets Tuesday night. I am absolutely heartbroken and shocked that it happened so quickly. The blood tests showed that she had sepsis. Thank you all for your help over the past 3 years that I had her for. She was so loved and very spoilt.
Here are some of my favourite photos of her.
95530-5753047578.jpg
95530-1439542934.jpg
95530-8208103706.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How heartbreaking- I am so sorry about Cleo- how did she get sepsis? Is that from the eggs? I understand how you feel it is devastating when it comes out of the blue- :( again I am thinking of you and her

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom