Worms?! (picture)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey

Juvie Member
Ok So he made his second poop today I found these guys floating around..
His previous owner sent me vet records and an explanation..
"No - the first vet didn't have a stool sample (he was sooo irregular with me I could never get one when I needed to, and she was over an hour away so I couldn't just drop one off easily), but was a firm believer in "prophylactic worming" going on the assumption that ALL reptiles have worms ALL the time. I didn't know any better. So I let her do it. I did NOT want to either but I didn't know if it was something that was just best. :( I did do Benebac through it though - to help him out. He did NOT feel well through that though -- the first like 6 days were tough on him, then he got better. Then he went back for the second dose and again, the next 6 days were tough on him. :( Anyhow - here's how it went:

1) First vet, at first visit, said to worm him for various parasites with panacur/flagyl. We did. No stool sample.
2) Wormed again by first vet 10 days later with same meds.

3) Second vet WITH stool sample, found NO parasites, but did find coccidia (which needs antibiotic not deworming meds) so gave me a big tough antibiotic whose name I can't remember but is in a past post of mine asking about this. In conversations with Diane on the forum, she asked what was the LEVEL of coccidia found. I called and asked. He said "2". Diane said levels of 1 and 2 really don't need to be treated generally - only when it's the higher levels. So I didn't treat it with the antibiotics. "

so I wonder is this just undigested phoenix worms? or leftovers after the other one? since he's been dewormed so recently, and is thriving here already I feel I have no real worried about parasites. Of course if his stool don't firms up and gets more regulated after a couple of weeks Ill bring in a stool sample, but other than that, he's getting perkier, more energetic, running around, chasing crickets, eating veggies on his own. So I think this might be phoenix worms, but I will ask you guys for a second opinion on that one..

027-12-1.jpg

027-12.jpg

Monkey

Juvie Member
Original Poster
They are good now, he was a tad too cold,or more correctly I had a lean on the log. Not realising his belly was further down than the head. I used the old set up his mother had cause he was used to it. It dawned on me the day before yesterday DURR. if his belly is 4 inches further down then optimum temp, belly isnt getting optimum temp.
and he's been so tired and been a lot in hiding so he's been lacking both heat and UVB despite its been provided for. I got him sunday..

So I put the log down, put the lamp inside the cage and now he has a much better gradient. I am suspecting next poop to look better.
He has also been off of food for a while on his own behalf, and I was so happy when he ate sunday that I also overfeed him and probably chocked him a little.
That was my bad..

kimmie

Sub-Adult Member
That's probably what it was then! Should be better with the corrected adjustments.

They sure do make us run thru hoops!

Monkey

Juvie Member
Original Poster
no joke on the hoop part *lol*
I am keeping a very close eye on him since he's been through a lot the last 6 months.
She had a very active household with alot of noise, and he didn't seem to take to that. He would run and hide if it got too noisy, thus too little heat, too little UVB, the appetite sunk, then he got the deworming etc.. so I just think it all added up for him.

I have now given him hydro life, and bone aid everyday, he ate 40 crickets first night, the next day 3 crickets, Tuesday 100 medium phoniex worms, wednesday was the butternutsquas, and today he had his second poop (he pooped monday HUGE one) so I feed him 25 more crickets and he ate2/3 of his butternutsquash salad.

So I think he's coming around. He also can't hide from the light no more.. I kinda force him to be around it, but he needs it, tough love.. and it helped :)

Samajade

Just a quick clarification (I also replied to your other threads) - but the deworming with Panacur/flagyl was right when I first got him back in early June. He hasn't been wormed since then (that worming consisted of one dose, then another 10 days later and that was it).

Look like Phoenix worms to me too - fwiw...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom