won't poop, but not compacted

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebby757

Okay, so I recently aquired a female beardie from someone who wasn't really taking care of her correctly. She was really bloated from only eating meal worms. But I have been feeding her fresh veggies and dubias since I've had her. Her appetite is pretty good usually eats everything daily. However, I have had her now about 2 weeks almost and she has pooped ONE time and that was durring a bath. She is not wormy, and her belly is bubbly feeling..so I doubt she's compacted..more like constipated?? I don't know what to do..should I get some probiotics for her? Her belly has gotten a little more normal feeling now thay she's eating better, she just won't poop. Please help, thanks!

JulieGeek

Hatchling Member
Good job taking on your new little girl!

Others here have reported good luck in resolving impaction (or constipation) by feeding baby food prunes and apples along with a bit of olive oil to help "move the mail". Get some of that in her and follow up a warm bath and gentle massage/stroking from beard to vent.

Give her some time in the bath. My Smaug will sometimes hang out in his bath for 10-15 minutes with an intent expression on his face before "assuming the position" and having a bowel movement.

A probiotic and maybe some bee pollen wouldn't hurt, either, I'm sure.

Smaug's Mom

sebby757

Original Poster
Okay thanks so much! :) I have been working for a week or so. She had more saliva in her mouth than normal, so I thought she had a uri. But, I took her to a friend and he actually pulled quite a few layers of shed off of her face..so, she's not been feeling well for a while. We assumed she was breathing out of her mouth for a while and that's why it was had more saliva than normal. It has decreased a little, so I feel better. If all of this doesn't get better within a week or so or gets worse she will be going to the vet :/

So I'm almost positive she doesn't have any parasites- this doesn't sound like them does it? The one time she pooped it smelled really really bad (worse than normal bad poo) but I thought it was safe to assume it was because she hadn't gone in a while. I will closely look at the next one its just hard when its in the water!

brittani299

Extreme Poster
sebby757":nz9voway said:
Okay thanks so much! :) I have been working for a week or so. She had more saliva in her mouth than normal, so I thought she had a uri. But, I took her to a friend and he actually pulled quite a few layers of shed off of her face..so, she's not been feeling well for a while. We assumed she was breathing out of her mouth for a while and that's why it was had more saliva than normal. It has decreased a little, so I feel better. If all of this doesn't get better within a week or so or gets worse she will be going to the vet :/

So I'm almost positive she doesn't have any parasites- this doesn't sound like them does it? The one time she pooped it smelled really really bad (worse than normal bad poo) but I thought it was safe to assume it was because she hadn't gone in a while. I will closely look at the next one its just hard when its in the water!

Hello :) If the poo is really smell and watery then she probably has a parasite. You can get cheap fecal tests from www.beardeddragon.co Cheryl is great and you can ask her for help. Also I wouldnt advise peeling shed off of your beardie. it can cause problems. You can take a gentle toothbrush and lightly rub it off

sebby757

Original Poster
Yeah she pooped again today and it smelled terrible. I made a vet appointment for her. The soonest was monday. I believe she has a few issues going on and I'm no vet so I've decided to let them handle it and just take the money blow.

sebby757

Original Poster
Sooo...after a very expensive vet bill , Tiki had heavy coccidia (sp) and whip worms. It is really unknown if she has/had the first stages of a URI from what her previous environment was, but her medicine is also an anti-bacteria so that will fix that problem should it be their as well. She also got a blood test, with all those whip worms she probably has a calcium deficiency. BUT, Tiki is on the road to recovery thank goodness. :).........Now to payoff my bill ;)

brittani299

Extreme Poster
I am almost positive. I would post it in the health section though. I know when Daisy had corrida I had to give her probitics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom