Won’t eat but seems perfectly healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve talked about this before, but my Apollo is having some eating issues. I keep him in a 40 gallon tank with basking spot at around 90° and a ReptiSun 10.0 UVB bulb. He has a nice shady spot with a cave and some rocks to perch on in his basking spot. I clean his tank regularly as well. Apollo seems perfectly fine—lots of energy, drinks water, sleeps well, very awake and lively...but he just will not eat. I did notice he has a bit of shedding on his arm, but that was first noticed a few days ago. Apollo hasn’t been eating for at least 6+ days. His poop was always fine but has been a little weirder since his lack of appetite as well. I constantly am force feeding him and it hurts me to do it because I know he absolutely despises it and hates me for doing it, but I don’t know what else I’m supposed to do. I throw blueberries and worms in his cage—sometimes peppers but he’s least likely to eat those of the 3 things I give him—and once in a while he will go for them but he only eats two or 3 for the entire day. With the exception of the few times he’s eaten on his own, every other day he absolutely refuses to eat anything at all and will even look at his food sometimes and completely ignore it. When I first got Apollo he had eating issues, but for months he never had a problem and would actually eat around 10 worms with a small pile of greens EVERY DAY, and I never once force fed him. As of recently, I have to force feed him at least 3 blueberries a day. I try feeding him the worms, but he usually ends up crushing them and letting them fall out of his mouth. Although he seems perfectly healthy in every category but his eating habits, I worry immensely. I don’t have the money to bring him to the vet and I’m at such a loss on what to do about my baby. Someone please help me—let me know if I’m being overdramatic or if this is something I should remain serious about. What is wrong with my bearded dragon and how do I help him?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Try increasing basking temps... as 90 is way too cold. It should be between 100-110 and monitored with a temp gun or digital temperature gauge with a probe.

How old is he and how long have you had him by the way?

Emjay22

I’d say they basking temperature is waaaay too cold. Try increasing the temperature and see what happens. I hope your baby gets better soon!

Mj

Pkimberlee13

Original Poster
VenusAndSaturn":2rvkayp5 said:
Try increasing basking temps... as 90 is way too cold. It should be between 100-110 and monitored with a temp gun or digital temperature gauge with a probe.

How old is he and how long have you had him by the way?

Thank you! I actually don’t know how old he is, he’s a rescue. My boyfriend and I first got him in October, but he just started living with me early March. While he was living with my boyfriend his cage set up wasn’t too amazing, so I’ll just say I’ve been taking care of him since March :)

Pkimberlee13

Original Poster
Emjay22":2gdvo2jm said:
I’d say they basking temperature is waaaay too cold. Try increasing the temperature and see what happens. I hope your baby gets better soon!

Mj

Thank you so much! I will try that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuexedulichthailan
Top Bottom