Winter protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTools

I know i dont post much but im still getting used to this site :)

Now for the important part. I need as many helpfull ideas as possible for keeping Gizmo warm during the winter.
It may be simple to you but for me it isnt, because abover her encloser is a new window that is not compleatly sealled yet so it is coldest over in her area. There is no other place to meve the enclosure and its far to heave. so if you can help Gizmo and i would apreciate it very much :D

as long as you have a good heat source that is between 95- 115 you should'nt have to worry about her enclosure getting cold. and keep your house at 70 degrees.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
You may have to get a higher wattage bulb to get the desired temps. The desired temps are 95 to 110. Some recommend up to 120 but over 110 they can get dehydrated. Babies get dehydrated easier sometimes than adults do.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, nice to see you posting. It does take a little time to get used to your way around here but if you need any help, just let us know.

You could pick up some plastic to put over the whole window and sill to keep some cold air out and that should help some. Make sure you're using an accurate thermometer, either a temperature gun or a digital thermometer with a long wire & probe on the end as those are the only 2 ways to get good readings. What are your basking & cool side temps now? Be sure to check them again when the outside temps drop lower as it's possible that you may have to increase the basking bulb wattage and even put a lower wattage bulb on the cool side if you're not using one now. The cool side during the day should be 75 to 85 with 80 being ideal. If the temperature in that room drops below 65, then you will need to use a ceramic heat emitter which gives off heat but no light. Here's a picture of what one looks like.
pt2046.jpg

And a link where they sell them.http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.f3images.com/IMD/250/MZ31060/MZ31060_99.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.petstore.com/ps_ViewItem-category-Zoo_Med_Ceramic_Heat_Emitter_60W_Reptile_Supplies_Temperature_Control_Heat_Emitters-vendor-Zoo_Med-SearchStr--action-view-idProduct-MZ31060-idCategory-RPTCHE.html&usg=__oxD3TNIaCVyo3pYqdYKxy4n4_mw=&h=250&w=250&sz=10&hl=en&start=17&tbnid=Wh19lYh_3YhzfM:&tbnh=111&tbnw=111&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dceramic%2Bheat%2Bemitter%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial%26sa%3DG
Another thing you can do is use a rice sock. Fill a sock with rice, tie a knot in the end and heat in the microwave for about 20 seconds testing the temp by the side of your cheek, should feel quite warm but not hot. Wrap the sock up in a washcloth or handtowel then wrap that and your beardie up together. It will hold the heat for at least a few hrs and can be reheated as needed.

Hopefully all these tips will help a little. Let us know if we can help further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom