Winter power outage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grace

I live in Minnesota and it gets quite cold in the winter. Does anyone else from a cold climate have a contingency plan for what to do if the power goes out? A friend of mine was talking about how he knew someone who's lizards died after a three day power outage in the winter and I would be so sad if it happened to me. I am honestly thinking about getting a little generator I could plug lights into. Any other ideas?

Esther19

BD.org Addict
1) Hand warmers like skiers use.
2) Warm a brick or rock in the barbecue outside.
3) Human body heat

Hopefully you won't lose power, but you don't have to lose your dragons just because you lost power.
Others have taken their dragons to friends or family that still has power.

disturb3d0n3

Juvie Member
I have a whole drawer full of "Hot Hands" heat packs for that very reason! One year we had a bad ice storm and I carried my iguana around on my back under my huge comfy robe.. You'd be amazed how fast they can suck your body heat up! Glad they're hardy animals!

Oriheme

Juvie Member
I have a beardy emergency kit just in case the power goes out. Lately our winters have been mild but there are times where it gets bad!! Power outages for days at a time, ect.. My in-laws have a fireplace and generator. BUT in case we cant get across the town(LOL like a 15 minute walk xD Forks is very small) but my "just in case" contains, hand warmers, feets warmers, bottles of water(in our apartment sometimes the water goes with the power.), and "beardie blankets" which are just unused wool socks Boba Fett LOVES them~ to put the hand warmers or feet warmers into~! Hope this helps ya!!! :D :D :D :D

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
Just be careful, the hand warmers do go bad after a few years of sitting - even if they're sealed. Found that out the hard way during Hurricane Sandy !

Firebonbon

Hatchling Member
I thought about this as well... I have one of those rice things that you heat up in the microwave and put around your neck if it is sore; would that be okay if this happened?
What about one of those heated blankets meant for babies?

Oriheme

Juvie Member
kjinxx2":3brlyzdx said:
Just be careful, the hand warmers do go bad after a few years of sitting - even if they're sealed. Found that out the hard way during Hurricane Sandy !

YIKES!!! I actually replace my hand warmers a lot because my kids get ahold of them and play with them lol. :roll:

Grace

Original Poster
Firebonbon":3h4uedxh said:
I thought about this as well... I have one of those rice things that you heat up in the microwave and put around your neck if it is sore; would that be okay if this happened?
What about one of those heated blankets meant for babies?

probably if it wasn't to hot and you covered it in a blanket...but how would you heat it up??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom