Will taking my beardie in the car affect his health?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a baby beardie, i already love him to death! he has been really good, i've only had him three days and he's already eating 20 pheonix worms a day! but i'm in college so i move back home in three weeks, nd need to take him in the car for three hours; this will happen again in august. will this really hurt him physically or mentally?? i know i shouldn't take him in the car until two hours after he eats.

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
he'll be fine, but due to the relocation stress he may decrease his eating again.
Also, be sue he's kept warm with a rice sock or something

Tigg

Juvie Member
My beardie LOVES being in the car!!! I bought a little critter cage to travel short distances with her. I filled a water bottle with hot water, and wraped it up in a towel... I was absolutely amazed by how much she enjoyed her very first ride! Just make sure you allow them to see out the window!! :)

EDIT*** forgot to mention: if you are travelling long distances, almost all gas stations now have microwaves in them near the coffee machines. Whether you do a water bottle or rice sock... It's very convenient to pull over and zap them for 30sec.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
As the above posters said...your little guy will be fine in the car. Most beardies do enjoy car rides and like Tigg said by a window, they do love to watch everything going on around them. Don't be surprised if he reacts from seeing a bird, plane, semi, etc...They can go into defense mode such as blackbearding, flattening or puffing up or even hissing! Just comfort him and let him know there is no threat :wink: :D

The other thing I'd like to mention as far as heating goes, the rice sock and water bottle are great suggestions. You could also get some hand warmers from Walmart or any sporting goods store. They are very inexpensive and will last up to 10 hours. Just make sure with any heating type device that you use, to always put some kind of protection between the heat and your beardie, like a towel.

Dawn :D

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
We always took Redrock everywhere with us and she never had any problems. We even took her camping and 1.5 years ago and she never stressed out. She got to expect to be taken everywhere we went and got sad when we left her at home for her safety.

Speedy and Zoom Zoom don't go with us as often as Redrock did but when they go with us they don't stress out, but somewhere between 3:30 and 4:30 pm they tend to try to look for a place to hide their eyes and sleep. Therefore, I suggest you take a towel, blanket or a sweater with you that they can hide under where they are safe and you shouldn't have any problems.

andkenz2290

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies, you guys really made me less nervous about it now! I'll definitely take your suggestions, I hope he gets to liking the rides, since there will be a few!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom