Will my UVB work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tru2me

Beardie name(s)
Elias
Hi everyone Im new here. I have a bearded dragon named Elias.
Ive had him about 4 years now and I think I made a big mistake with my UVB choice.

A couple of weeks ago he became lethargic, and was barely eating.
Id been using a Zilla brand T8 desert bulb in his 40 gallon feeder tank, on top of a screen. The measurements of the tank are 36x18x18.
His basking hammock is about 6-8 inches from the top of the tank, where the light was.

After heavy research Ive learned that this bulb is not very good, and probably borderline useless cuz of the screen.
I now have a Reptisun T5 10.0 UVB on its way, with a new fixture that was required as my T8 fixture wont house a T5 bulb.

I was under the impression that I had proper tank and light setup by a "professional" but apparently they couldnt have been more wrong.
I assume this lighting is what the problem is, with his lack of energy and his lack of eating, but I could be wrong, Im not an expert.

I guess my questions are, will the Reptisun T5 10.0 UVB bulb work for his basking spot with it sitting on a fine hole screen cover?
Or will I need to cut a long hole in the screen? Keep in mind, basking area is 6-8 inches from the screen cover.
Ive removed the screen partially for now, until this bulb comes later today in the mail, and for the past 2 days hes been eating normally, and has more energy.

And another question is, can he recover from this? 4 years is a long time to not be using proper lighting, and it took a long time for him to even show signs of it being a problem.
Maybe this isnt the problem at all?

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads.

Ive also included 1 of my favorite pics of him from about a year ago, as im sure you guys love seeing other peoples dragons as much as I do

Attachments

• 20210318_091442.jpg
    20210318_091442.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 130

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi everyone Im new here. I have a bearded dragon named Elias.
Ive had him about 4 years now and I think I made a big mistake with my UVB choice.

A couple of weeks ago he became lethargic, and was barely eating.
Id been using a Zilla brand T8 desert bulb in his 40 gallon feeder tank, on top of a screen. The measurements of the tank are 36x18x18.
His basking hammock is about 6-8 inches from the top of the tank, where the light was.

After heavy research Ive learned that this bulb is not very good, and probably borderline useless cuz of the screen.
I now have a Reptisun T5 10.0 UVB on its way, with a new fixture that was required as my T8 fixture wont house a T5 bulb.

I was under the impression that I had proper tank and light setup by a "professional" but apparently they couldnt have been more wrong.
I assume this lighting is what the problem is, with his lack of energy and his lack of eating, but I could be wrong, Im not an expert.

I guess my questions are, will the Reptisun T5 10.0 UVB bulb work for his basking spot with it sitting on a fine hole screen cover?
Or will I need to cut a long hole in the screen? Keep in mind, basking area is 6-8 inches from the screen cover.
Ive removed the screen partially for now, until this bulb comes later today in the mail, and for the past 2 days hes been eating normally, and has more energy.

And another question is, can he recover from this? 4 years is a long time to not be using proper lighting, and it took a long time for him to even show signs of it being a problem.
Maybe this isnt the problem at all?

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads.

Ive also included 1 of my favorite pics of him from about a year ago, as im sure you guys love seeing other peoples dragons as much as I do
Ok the T 8 would of worked but one I would of advised a better bulb a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 and you had the right distance 6-8 inches w/ it being obstructed its just the obstruction w/ the screen was the issue so you got on the right track getting rid of the screen --- the T 5 will need to go unobstructed w/ the distance 12-15 inches -- so I would get a lower piece for basking decor -- w/ you getting the proper placement for the UVB now is good and w/ the T 5 coming will be even better - if hes already eating and having more energy thats good --- you have caught this in time before it got any worse -- your T 5 will need to be replaced in approx one year I recommend a month prior to

Tru2me

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Elias
Thanks for the response!

But Im hoping I can leave the screen, hence the T5 10.0
I dont really want to leave the screen slid halfway open if I dont have to.

Ive heard that a small holed screen blocks alot of UVB, but not all.

Will he get enough of the UVB from the T5 10.0 through the screen, being 6-8 inches away?
Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thanks for the response!

But Im hoping I can leave the screen, hence the T5 10.0
I dont really want to leave the screen slid halfway open if I dont have to.

Ive heard that a small holed screen blocks alot of UVB, but not all.

Will he get enough of the UVB from the T5 10.0 through the screen, being 6-8 inches away?
Thanks
I don't know- we can ask Cooper dragon
@CooperDragon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have that tank and screen and have done testing through it. It will drop the output a bit, but at 8'' a T5 with reflector should be providing plenty of UVB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom