Will my enclosure be big enough for now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my beardie at the beginning of last month, and when I measured him today, he measured out at thirteen inches!

He's growing so fast, but I'm going to be moving back up North next month, and it'll take me at least a month to build him a bigger viv.

Right now, he's in a regular twenty gallon tank, and I was wondering if he'll be okay in that until January?

He was only about eight inches tip to tip when I bought him, and he's grown five inches in one month. If he keeps up at this rate, I'm worried he'll outgrow the viv before I can get him a new one. :(

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
At the rate he's growing, it sounds like he'll be well out of a 20g tank by January. If it's just a temporary measure you're looking for, you could house him in a big rubbermaid tub for a little while. I have one that's almost 4 ft long that I use for Randal when I take her out of town with me and she does great in it. You just have to make sure that you either lay a screen across the top or check that it's high enough for your dragon not to jump out. It's not the prettiest solution, but it works and my bin only cost me about $20. Just cover the bottom with a piece of nonadhesive shelf liner (the kind without holes in it) and it's easy to clean while being comfortable for your dragon.

bandwidthlimit

Original Poster
Thanks! How long do you usually keep Randal in the rubbermaid? Loki's already 13", and I think he eats more than I do!

I have to ship him home in the middle of December, and right now, I'm reading up on how to do that safely. But, if I can get away with selling the 20gal tank here before I have to leave, that would make shipping the rest of his stuff North a lot easier.

Will he be okay in it for roughly a month or so before I can build him is permanent Viv? I intend to start building it as soon as I get home.

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
He should be fine - the only real difference between it and a permanent tank is that there's no window for him to look out of. My girl has lived in her bin for about two weeks before (I was gone on vacation and it was easier to send that tank to the dragon sitter's house than her home tank) and she did just fine. It may take a bit of tweaking to get the lights and heating right, but once that's worked out you should be set until you can build him his permanent tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom