Will a CHE melt my zip-ties?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
I have both my dragons in their own 75gal, 4ft long glass tanks with screen tops. Being that the recommended length for the UVB bulb is at least 2/3 the length of the tank - I got the 36" Reptisun 10.0's and ended up having to use pretty heavy enameled steel fixtures since I couldn't find anything else (I even tried the Reptisun hood fixtures, but they didn't work well). The fixtures didn't have any holes on the side where I could mount them with 3M Command Hooks and they're way too heavy for velcro, so I ended up having to zip-tie them through holes on top and linked the zip-ties through the metal grates on my screen top.

Point being... my ambient temps are about to start dropping below 65 degrees and I'm looking to get a CHE, but I'm reading reviews that say they get VERY hot and will melt any kind of plastic that's nearby. Should I be concerned that the CHE could melt my zip-ties and send these very heavy fixtures crashing down into my glass tanks and on top of my beardies? I'll try to add some pics of my set-up ASAP! Thanks!

jovamabob

Hatchling Member
i don't 100% know but i have a CHE Next to a plastic light fitting and it hasn't melted it. As long as it is not directly next too them ie, a good 5-10 cm away from the bulb and its bracket i reckon they'd be okay, but you could reinforce the tube with a little metal chain around the tube to your top - ie use a small metal chain with an end that either clips on to your metal grate top or use a small keyring to attach the chain. Here is my home-made fixture. You can see the plastic bright light fitting (now a porcelain fitting since i switched to two CHE's for the cold) and it hasn't melted. I have 2 chains, one either end of my uvb tube chained to a v. small bracket since my top is wooden as well as the fitting, just in case. The chain hangs just below my tube so it doesn't touch the bulb or damage it, but would catch it if it fell. (not seen in photo - i just added it)

tumblr_mb2scz4PkW1ry9h3jo1_500.jpg

You do need to use a ceramic/porcelain fixture for a CHE wich will also get very hot and heat resistant wire is a must. You can buy ready made ones online relatively cheaply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom