why wont my beardie eat??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Im afraid I have limited knowledge in regards to humidity so I cannot help you here.

Consider this a bump for you.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I was able to run a search on good humidity levels and this is what I found:
Drache613":06feb said:
The humidity can run between 30-50% but 30-40% is fine.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, it seems like you have gotten some great info in a couple of different threads. Have you changed the way you are taking the temperatures? You really need to lay the probe end so that it is touching (laying on) the basking spot, then wait about 45 min for the temp to stop rising before you get the final basking temp, then you place the probe end way over on the cool side with it laying right on the little ramp and at the far end closest to the glass, then wait about another 45 min before you get the cool side temp. I'm betting that your temps are too high and that is why he is avoiding the basking side and when they don't bask, they aren't active and don't get a good appetite. So, you need to find out what the temps actually are and make the necessary changes right away. Let us know what readings you get and we can help with any adjustments.

Definitely remove the red bulb and you can even replace that with a 100 watt household light bulb which will help increase his activity level and be much easier on his eyes. When are you getting the Rept-Sun 10.0 fluorescent and hood?

As also suggested, you need to start offering him greens from this site. http://www.beautifuldragon.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html Most beardies don't eat the pellet food, especially not babies. If he does show an interest in them, make sure you are soaking them in some warm water to soften them before feeding. He also should be wanting to eat at least 30 crickets a day and up to about 100. Since babies are supposed to be growing rapidly, their bodies call for lots of protein from live feeders.

Did you remove the calci-sand? That is an absolute MUST because that sand hardens in their bellies like cement which can and will be deadly if that occurs.

His eyes look like he is dehydrated and babies go downhill very quickly when that happens. You need to start giving him baths and can even hold him in the palm of your hand making sure that he is angled with his vent area (where he poos) right down in the water for about 15 min. Since he is only pooping every couples of days, that is not a good sign. He should be pooping 2 to 3 times a day if he is getting what he needs.

Please let us know what changes you have made and give us the new temp readings. I hope you can get his setup straightened out very soon as babies are very particular with their needs in order to become healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom