Why won't my baby beardie bask?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scipherneo

Ok, so I've had my beardie Sebastion for three days so far. He's 7-8 inches long, and in a 10 gallon (soon to be 29 gallon, getting it set up to keep him in while i find a 40 breeder). I have a 150 watt light set up, aiming at a rock, here's a picture:

In the picture he's near the rock, that's because I just put him back in his cage, I took him out and let him sit on my desk while I temp'd different parts of his cage.

So basically, Im curious as to why he won't bask on that rock. I have a good thermometer with a probe I used, and it temps at roughly 100 degrees, while the rock to the bottom left (that he has been using to bask on) only temps at 89. Is it possible he just doesn't like the rock or something? He's been eating good, and pooping fine, once a day. He looks really healthy all around, I just don't understand why he isn't taking the heat. Anyone?

brittani299

Extreme Poster
How long is he? A baby needs 105-110 basking temps. Petco is having $1 a gallon sale. I would go see if you can get a bigger tank.

scipherneo

Original Poster
I know the temps a baby needs, and I know I need a bigger tank - there is no petco within two hours of me. Can someone answer my question though?

brittani299

Extreme Poster
Can you answer these questions

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb?
Di you have any type of night time heat source (ceramic heat emitter, colored bulb, etc)?
How long are lights on each day?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
What is the night time temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bathe your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Huh, not sure. :? He may not like the rock. Lets just chalk this up to a "bump" in the hopes someone jumps in :wink:
*Bump*

scipherneo

Original Poster
I think i'll switch the rocks around tonight while he's sleeping, and see where he basks tomorrow. I assume basking in cooler temps won't harm him as long as he keeps pooping and eating and everything.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Well, so long as you have a min temp of 95 and no lower so they can digest. He may just get warmer quicker being in a smaller temporary tank. Not quite 100% though, so I'd still ask around :wink:

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
150W is way too strong for a 10 gallon tank. More than likely he's overheating. When you're taking temperatures, you should leave the probe there for about 45 minutes to let the temperatures stabilize. I have a 75W for a 40 gallon breeder tank myself.

It could also be that he's just new and scared. If he's still pooping and active, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Keep him well hydrated and look for a larger tank ASAP.

scipherneo

Original Poster
i'm going to leave the probe in there for about an hour while i go out, and if its too hot when i get back ill return the bulb and get a 100 or so, i had a 50 before the 150 and it was only taking temps to like 80-85, thats why i made the big jump to 150

morphmom

BD.org Addict
scipherneo":co02xbkx said:
i'm going to leave the probe in there for about an hour while i go out, and if its too hot when i get back ill return the bulb and get a 100 or so, i had a 50 before the 150 and it was only taking temps to like 80-85, thats why i made the big jump to 150
That's actually kinna strange. I to have a 75 watt for my 40gal :? Could you buy another thermometer just to double check, and then return it if you get the same reading?

scipherneo

Original Poster
I actually did use two different thermometers, one was a home one and the other a probe, i think the reason my temps are low is because if you look at the picture its not aiming straight down, its at an angle towards the other side of the cage

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
scipherneo":2iskchcq said:
I actually did use two different thermometers, one was a home one and the other a probe, i think the reason my temps are low is because if you look at the picture its not aiming straight down, its at an angle towards the other side of the cage

Even angled like that, it's not that far from the basking spot. With a 10 gallon tank, it's very hard to get a temperature gradient (hot and cool side) so that the beardie can escape the heat if needed.

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
It could also depend on the temps in the room and the type of bulb. I had an Exo Terra bulb at 150W and it was perfect temp wise, then I got a 90W indoor/outdoor flood and it was too hot too quick but not enough light. Then I tried a 75W house bulb and it didn't get hot enough (bulbs these days are all energy efficient so it's hard to find good ones that are ACTUALLY higher temps), now I'm at a 60W indoor/outdoor flood in a 40gal inside a sometimes cold house and it seems to do the trick. Not always super bright depending on ambient room temps (bulb is on a dimmer) but it does the job well enough. I also have 2 60W house bulbs for extra light/ambient heat inside the tank.

It's a looooot of trial and error.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
In the picture, it looks like the probe end is up in the air a little rather than resting (touching) the rock. It's a good idea to wait at least 45 min for an hr for the temp to stop rising before getting the final reading. Any idea what the temp is of the cool side?

Is there a UVB light on top of the tank too?

scipherneo

Original Poster
I just took Sebastion out of his 10 gal and set up a 29 gal my neighbor had and wanted to get rid of. I'm getting a much better temp gradient, although his basking spot now only hits 98ish. I'm going out tomorrow and getting something taller, maybe driftwood or something so he can climb up and get closer to the light, the temps a few inches above where he is are way higher, while the other side of the cage stays relatively cool. And yes, I have a UVB light, however the bulb I had wasn't the correct one (it was a 15$ repti-glo) so i returned it and ordered a reptisun 10.0 tube online, but i probably won't have that until monday/tuesday. It was warm here on friday though, like 80 degrees, so I took him outside for some sun. Here's a picture of his new enclosure (lacking on decor at the moment, trying to save as much money as possible on that and get suitable things from outside)

(ignore the shirt, i heard it's good to put something that smells like you in the cage :p )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom