Why Sandfire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Why is it then when someone asks what morph their dragon is, one of the first things people say is Sandfire? Doesn't matter if it's brown, yellow, orange or reddish, Sandfire is almost always thrown out there.
Why can't people understand that unless you know the parents lineage, you can never know what your dragon is unless is a true genetic variation like hypo or leather back. You can never, ever guess a dragon morph based on color.

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
People probably think of dragon morphs as being like dog breeds... If a dog looks like it's a collie, then it's probably a collie, or a mix with collie. So if a beardie looks like a sandfire, they assume it's a sandfire.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Im just reaching here Gail so bear with Me.
Considering the number of dragons the sandfire dragon ranch has produced and sold thru the petstores over the years, It wouldnt surprise Me if these people just saying it arent partially right.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I can see where people might do that but then I wonder, have they even seen a sandfire. Contrary to the name, they aren't a sandy color, they are a fairly bright orange.
I know this is a trivial thing but its something that really gets me upset. How many people have gotten petstore dragons then been told its a sandfire just because it has some color to it, then proceed to breed "sandfires"

Link to true sandfires: http://www.sandfiredragonranch.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=98

EDIT: I agree with you on that Tom but I doubt that why most people are saying sandfire. I think its more of people thinking a colored dragon has to be something more then a "normal" and not really understanding what a morph is.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
I told you I was reaching....lol
Your probably right.
Ive been lucky that Ive been able to trace most of My genetics down. It damn sure wasnt easy...lol

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
Gail":j8wawf8h said:
I can see where people might do that but then I wonder, have they even seen a sandfire. Contrary to the name, they aren't a sandy color, they are a fairly bright orange.
I know this is a trivial thing but its something that really gets me upset. How many people have gotten petstore dragons then been told its a sandfire just because it has some color to it, then proceed to breed "sandfires"

Link to true sandfires: http://www.sandfiredragonranch.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=98

EDIT: I agree with you on that Tom but I doubt that why most people are saying sandfire. I think its more of people thinking a colored dragon has to be something more then a "normal" and not really understanding what a morph is.

Is that a poor photo? I always thought they were brighter than that. But most of what I know about sandfire ranch is from magazine advertisements. IDk maybe the pictures in the advertisements were altered though. well the one on the bottom is really orange, but the only other one that that you can see well isn't as bright as I expected.

dragonxxxx

Hatchling Member
on another post someone asked what does my beardie look like, i said it looks like a sandfire. i based this answer on the fact that in the picture the beardie looked alot like one of my sons beardies, which is a sandfire. hey guess what i've seen one. got my sandfire from a breeder, not one of those low class '' SANDFIRES" from the pet shop

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
019-14.jpg

Sandfire?

dragonxxxx

Hatchling Member
well tastiger unless we did a complete background check and looked over all the papers, that could be nothing more than a chihuahua

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
lol im just saying that most people would say sandfire b/c it looks like one i know mine is a sandfire the breeder specificaly bred sandfires and did "background" checks on all her breeders..anyway i think they arent trying to say it because they think its a specific breed of beardie but more of a way to discribe the color of the bearded dragon because what do you think of when somone says Sandfire?

dragonxxxx

Hatchling Member
i doubt every breeder has the exact same color sandfires, some are darker, some are lighter, some are more orange, and some even are more yellowish. that would be like every collie breeder having the same looking collies. i've seen many clutches of sandfires, and there are many variations, however it is hard to confuse a sandfire with a blood red or a citrus or a translucent or a citrus with a blood red etc. (how are your handling problems going.)

spyder79

Extreme Poster
Gail":uuqssal1 said:
Why is it then when someone asks what morph their dragon is, one of the first things people say is Sandfire? Doesn't matter if it's brown, yellow, orange or reddish, Sandfire is almost always thrown out there.
Why can't people understand that unless you know the parents lineage, you can never know what your dragon is unless is a true genetic variation like hypo or leather back. You can never, ever guess a dragon morph based on color.

Why a sandfire? It is simple. Everyone wants to look like they know what they are talking about and sandfire is one of the most identifiable names in the industry. So, though they do not know one way or another, people call it a sandfire so they can feel like they helped.

If someone asks you what type their dragon is that they purchased at a pet store the answer is entirely simple. Just give them a color phase. If the dragon leans towards yellow then call it a yellow citrus phase, leans towards orange - orange citrus phase, leans towards red- red phase, so on and so fourth.

dragonxxxx

Hatchling Member
so let me understand this, someone posts what does my beardie look like,( and it looks like a sandfire) and because you don't want to look like you know what your talking about, and say that might be a sandfire, your supposed to say it's orange. i hope all of you that have special phase colored beardies have trustworthy breeders because unless you do a dna test on your beardie, (and not just going by what it looks like) you truly don't know what type of beardie you have, because according to you, you can't tell by just looking at it.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
sandfire, and all those other names for the colors are just fancy names that people gave them. They're not really a breed. It's like with cats, a tabby is a tabby no matter if it's orange or black. It's still just a normal tabby. And just like with pedigrees, you can't tell just by looking at them that they are full blooded with papers.

Sandfire is technically the name of a breeding company. They were the ones who created the name, like a trademark name that became as well known as kleenexes and q-tips. There were no sandfires before they opened their doors, but there were orange dragons. By calling any random dragon a sandfire, it's no different than calling a random dragon one of tom's dragons when you don't know where they came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom