Why can't beardies stand being inverted upside down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I play with my little 5 month old female beardie A LOT. She sorta loves me, but occasionally gets spooked when I quickly grab her (gently). But when I first got her, I tried (for only a split second) to hold her upside down. She rolls back up-right in my hands, and doesn't seem to like it. I did this a few more time (not to be cruel) and noticed her nostrils close when she's inverted. Is this because she's a four legged creature, her lungs and organs have evolved to be pulled down to the floor differently to ours? And that beardies never stay upside down, so their body has never evolved to experience and tolerate it?

Your thoughts.

CaramelBeet

Hatchling Member
I vaguely remember hearing that they can't breathe when upside down, and enter a catatonic (??) state.
At any rate, it's probably very unnatural and very uncomfortable; in the wild, being upside down would mean that you can't run, and you're free for any predators to take. I can't think of a reason a bearded dragon would be upside down naturally unless they were dying or something.

MungoAster

Original Poster
CaramelBeet":g42lk409 said:
I vaguely remember hearing that they can't breathe when upside down, and enter a catatonic (??) state.
At any rate, it's probably very unnatural and very uncomfortable; in the wild, being upside down would mean that you can't run, and you're free for any predators to take. I can't think of a reason a bearded dragon would be upside down naturally unless they were dying or something.

Ahh, so since they are four legged creatures, -instinctively- being upside down on the ground would make you extremely vulnerable and immobile. They have no benefits of being upside down so their bodies evolved to be lying on the ground or on all fours.

It makes a lot of sense now! Thank you.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I don't know how long they can be on their back but I do know it will eventually compress the lungs and they can't breathe.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They don't have a diaphram in which to help them breathe when inverted.
So, turning them on their backs usually isn't a good idea, it's very uncomfortable to them.
They have been known to suffer from a collapsed lung.

Tracie

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
It's basically the most vulnerable position for themes be in, they can't run away, they can't rely on their thick skin/spikes for protection, they can maneuver well to bite and their soft bellies are exposed.

Anatomically it's not damaging and they would need to be pretty unhealthy or obese to suffer breathing issues. The lungs are supported by the rib/chest muscles and there isn't anything in the way of organs to "press" on them right side up or upside down.

Tonic immobility is a thing though, and a common way to "sedate" small lizards for study or photographs.

KingLeonard

I see owners posting pictures of their beardies sitting on their tails. Like they are sitting up....and it seems so wrong. Is there actually a good reason to NOT posture your dragon this way? I hate to see it done just for a photo opportunity?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
KingLeonard":1lgn5xpv said:
I see owners posting pictures of their beardies sitting on their tails. Like they are sitting up....and it seems so wrong. Is there actually a good reason to NOT posture your dragon this way? I hate to see it done just for a photo opportunity?
They are just that. Some twit thinks it looks funny and poses it.
Will be very uncomfortable to a bearded dragon as the tail is an extension of their spin and full of nerves.

Don't do it to the dragon it will hurt !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mysticsalten
Top Bottom