whole wax worm in his poop, untouched

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so Papi famously ate 12 or so bees yesterday in the span of about 1 minute. He was standing outside on the Iceplant and there are bees everywhere there. Anyway, because of this, I was a bit worried. So today he pooped on the jade plant and I went to wash it away with water and I saw in it a perfect, untouched wax worm! I thought I'd see bee parts or something! Nothing but poop and a wax worm.

He's just started wax worms to fatten up. I think I should stop feeding them, right? This thing in the poop looked identical to the moment it went in. Well, it was dead. But those darn things don't move much when they're alive so you could have fooled me.

Isn't that bizarre???? I should quit the wax worms, right?

Acill

I've been told if you see that to stop feeding them yeah. I am far from an expert though and would wait for more comments from others.

That probably happened because that wax worm was to big you should trie cutting the worms in halves then the worms will digest better. It isnt safe to feed a beardie that is under7 or 8 inches waxworms stick withe mealworms until he is around 8 or 9 inches.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
beardiesrawsome5":44ffd said:
That probably happened because that wax worm was to big you should trie cutting the worms in halves then the worms will digest better. It isnt safe to feed a beardie that is under7 or 8 inches waxworms stick withe mealworms until he is around 8 or 9 inches.
Mealworms are actually worse for an 8" beardie than wax worms due to the chitin shell that can cause an impaction. Wax worms contain a lot of fat so they really aren't good either. Getting some phoenix, horns, silkies or even dubia roaches would be much healthier. If the wax worm was totally undigested, then your temps may be off which isn't allowing for proper digestion. What type of thermometer are you using to check the temps momof2boys? Also, I would be very careful with the bees and make sure he doesn't ingest any more of them.

momof2boys

Original Poster
I'm definitely not letting him get more bees, but it's so hard when he's outside as he sits in a cactus garden with iceplant, which has TONS of bees. Anyway, none since that first day.

I've quit the wax worms, though Papi is actually much longer than nine inches. I assume he'd be about 16" long or more if he had a full tail (he has a very short stub tail). I thought he was younger because I didn't realize how long a normal BD tail was!! But he's definitely almost a year, according to the herp vet!

I need to order some other worms, I know! He's eating supers and digests those great but needs to get some of the others. What are the ones that are super high in Ca??

What's the best place to order those, and how many should a Juvie get in a day, appx?

I take temps with a stick-on, I know it's bad, but I'm getting a temp gun this weekend. We're just REALLY broke.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
The 'whole worm' thing can happen with Phoenix worms as well... it's usually just a simple case of one getting down too quickly, before having been pierced by the teeth. If they aren't chewed up well/pierced, they won't digest and will come right through. It happens with Cloudy every once in a blue moon if she gobbles too quickly. Indeed, there is nothing so disconcerting as seeing a worm crawl out of the poop and start across the viv floor. :shock: I can't speak as to waxies per se, as we haven't fed them, but I imagine it could be a similar kind of thing. Of course, at the end of the day, as you've learned, the waxies aren't all that great for them anyway... so, as to your question...

phoenix and butters are both good sources of natural calcium. Phoenix having a better fat/protein ratio can be fed as a staple/combo staple. Butters are a little more fatty (actually, high in calories from fat) so they can be fed regularly, but not in a staple-like fashion... you'd have to hold back on them somewhat.

We've been feeding PWs for months, and beardie has always loved them but is getting a tad burned out. I'm planning to supplement them with a few butters soon, and see what she thinks. :)

Good luck!

Em

Lovethelife07

Hatchling Member
i agree with mostly everyone...mealworms=horrible most of the time...beardies cant digest the shell and they have little nutritional value
phoenix worms are the best ive found (i use them and crickets :)) a lot of protein so u dont have to dust them
wax worms are mostly fat so its not good for them unless used as a treat or fed with something else along with it as to fatten them up AND get the right nutrition for ur little one :)
and i have had the problem with the "whole worm in the poop" thing lol-my baby wont eat anything unless it moves so i had to find a way around cutting the things in half *which was suggested) so i found that if you poke whatever worms you want to feed them with a toothpick once or twice it works pretty well :) i havnt had a problem since. lilly likes to down her food when she gets it lol she is quite the eater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom