who knows the 411 on hornworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnyvale22

Hatchling Member
i just got a cup in yesterday and Yoshi went crazy when he saw them from across the room. i do have one that is about 3 inches long and pretty thick. yoshi is 17 inches and a little over 5 months old. i gave him two of the smaller/ medium ones and he ate those no problem. in fact he kept scratching for the big one.
could i give him the big one? or should i just not try. also any other info on the hornworms is welcome. i hear they bite people and you get fever, but this is from someone who takes wives tales very literal.

neecie

Juvie Member
If your bd is that long - the big hornworm will be no problem....I was worried the first time too - but the worm is soft and is easily eaten. Squirting juice may occur. My routine is keep feeding the biggest worms first cuz they grow pretty quickly. If you got yours from Mulberry - fer sure they can get as big as the one pictured on the container. With the big worm - bd may only eat one. I usually serve one in am and one in pm (allowing 2 hrs of light to digest). So far these are my fav feeder. Silks are good, but the webs are a pain.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Neecie gave you some great info. I wanted to add that I have never had one bite and never heard anything about them causing a fever.

neecie

Juvie Member
Oh yea, I forgot that part. They don't bite...........they have a tight grip to hang on, but that's all. My 4 yr old grandaughter picks them. Don't squeeze, cuz they're mushy. It's a terrific big meal.HA! for a beardie

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
neecie":e5299 said:
Oh yea, I forgot that part. They don't bite...........they have a tight grip to hang on, but that's all. My 4 yr old grandaughter picks them. Don't squeeze, cuz they're mushy. It's a terrific big meal.HA! for a beardie
Yes, they love them. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom