White scales are peeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kstreiss

I could tell my bearded dragon has needed to peel for a while and I’ve been giving her baths. Hasn’t eaten a lot lately, she tends to get lazy during the winter time. I took her out and today and noticed this white spot on her tail, and surrounding it is peeling skin. It’s usually not this white after peeling so I’m not sure what it’s from. Any ideas? (I prodded the area and moved her tail around to see if it caused her any pain and she didn’t seem to feel any)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 109

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I could tell my bearded dragon has needed to peel for a while and I’ve been giving her baths. Hasn’t eaten a lot lately, she tends to get lazy during the winter time. I took her out and today and noticed this white spot on her tail, and surrounding it is peeling skin. It’s usually not this white after peeling so I’m not sure what it’s from. Any ideas? (I prodded the area and moved her tail around to see if it caused her any pain and she didn’t seem to feel any)
@AHBD

Kstreiss

Original Poster
Hi there, how often did you bathe her and did you use anything to scrape that area ? It's kind of de-gloved.

No, i haven’t scraped the area. It was normal until today but I could tell it needed to peel. I bathe her 2-3 times a week until the warm water gets cold. What does de-gloved mean?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
When part of the skin is pulled of as if you were pulling off a glove. That area has damage to it for some reason. Was there a tight band of shed right there restricting blood flow ?

Kstreiss

Original Poster
When part of the skin is pulled of as if you were pulling off a glove. That area has damage to it for some reason. Was there a tight band of shed right there restricting blood flow ?
I think there was a tight band. There was definitely an irregularity with the thickness of her tail in that area and I started noticing it a couple weeks ago. I’m pretty sure that’s where it’s peeling now. What should I do next?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Stop the soaking, people don't realize that beardies don't need it and it can damage scales if they are left in water many times a week for extensive soaking . You can put raw unpasteurized honey on it but if the tail keeps getting worse you'll need to see a reptile vet to be sure something really serious isn't going on. Hopefully it will not get worse though.

Kstreiss

Original Poster
Stop the soaking, people don't realize that beardies don't need it and it can damage scales if they are left in water many times a week for extensive soaking . You can put raw unpasteurized honey on it but if the tail keeps getting worse you'll need to see a reptile vet to be sure something really serious isn't going on. Hopefully it will not get worse though.
Ok, thank you. Would a regular ointment work as well as honey or is that not good for them? Also, my beardie primarily poops in the tub. Is a short, once a week bath a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom