Whistled breathing, stumped on stuck shed

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Keep us posted on your girl, we are all pulling for her full recovery. I agree, the new UVB lighting
should help out immensely.

Tracie

Lelu01_

Original Poster
Make sure the distance for the UVB is around 12-15 inches I would go w/ 13" w/ the basking decor directly under it --- it wont take long for the appetite to come back if the UVB was effecting it -- its hard to tell w/ the cold weather - a lot of them slow down in the winter time w/ appetite so just keep offering the food --
Yes when assembling it all together I was using the measuring tape the whole time to make sure everything is correct distance. I plan on getting more decor ASAP to put in there so she can sit higher up.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's terrific to hear! She must be feeling a lot better now, if she's basking under her UVB
more now. Bless her!

Tracie

Lelu01_

Original Poster
Hello,

That's terrific to hear! She must be feeling a lot better now, if she's basking under her UVB
more now. Bless her!

Tracie
Hi

Yes, although still not eating I do see her being more active as well. She also has been wanting to stay out of her enclosure and relax with me for a few minutes on my shoulder as I work on homework on my laptop. Today I did notice something at the entrance of her nostril but I can’t tell what it is, some sort of small brownish speck. I didn’t wanna touch it in case it’s attached to her membrane. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 9B42166A-D5B6-4BD6-84C0-239DAACFC4BF.jpeg
    9B42166A-D5B6-4BD6-84C0-239DAACFC4BF.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 41

Lelu01_

Original Poster
Hi

Yes, although still not eating I do see her being more active as well. She also has been wanting to stay out of her enclosure and relax with me for a few minutes on my shoulder as I work on homework on my laptop. Today I did notice something at the entrance of her nostril but I can’t tell what it is, some sort of small brownish speck. I didn’t wanna touch it in case it’s attached to her membrane. Any ideas?
I wanna also add that I notice when I handle her recently she also goes to the restroom either on my bed or back in the enclosure. I wonder if I need a better bulb? I use a mini portable heater in my room and I sit near it with her on a low setting to keep her warm as well as the room and it seems during those times she wants to poop and urate. So far it has been three times. Makes me also wonder if she has an upset stomach from difficulties pooping. Her bulb is a 100 W Exo Terra intense basking light.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's good to hear she seems to be a little more active. Does her basking light appear pretty bright?
You could start giving some probiotics to help her digestive system. Usually they really help out a lot.
Are you giving calcium on a regular basis? Sometimes if they are low in calcium reserves then that can
also cause constipation too.

Tracie

Lelu01_

Original Poster
Hello,

That's good to hear she seems to be a little more active. Does her basking light appear pretty bright?
You could start giving some probiotics to help her digestive system. Usually they really help out a lot.
Are you giving calcium on a regular basis? Sometimes if they are low in calcium reserves then that can
also cause constipation too.

Tracie
Hi Tracie,

Yes I make sure she’s getting the proper calcium that she needs wirh her food. After a lot of reading from the forum and talking with a reputable reptile owner from a family owned shop I go to I believe all the signs point to brumation. I will continue to add and adjust her enclosure for her needs. I already got more items to put around for her to climb and ensure she’s at an appropriate height for her heat and UVB. I got some beardie pellets as an additive if she feels to eat it on her own but not as a full stable as I still want her to eat her bugs and veggies so I will continue to feed her those as well and offer her those. I was recommended a vet who fully handles reptiles only and I will be looking into taking her to him if things get worse.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She may be wanting to brumate which is fine, but, I wouldn't let her brumate fully since she has
had trouble & still need to gain a bit of weight. I'm glad she has improved so much & is eating more
now also. You can let her rest some though while still encouraging her to bask also.
Keep us updated on her!

Tracie

Lelu01_

Original Poster
Hello,

She may be wanting to brumate which is fine, but, I wouldn't let her brumate fully since she has
had trouble & still need to gain a bit of weight. I'm glad she has improved so much & is eating more
now also. You can let her rest some though while still encouraging her to bask also.
Keep us updated on her!

Tracie
Hi Tracie,

I wanted to report that I think she’s in full brumation. She’s been asleep for 5 days in the same spot. I noticed she did this after she pooped. She’s conscious when I pet her I get worried that she’s not here with us. It’s been cold here so I switched the bulb out right now to a ceramic heat emitter. I noticed the temps being slightly better than before.

Cool side: 79.9
Warm side: 92.6
Basking spot w/ heat gun: 99.6
Cool spot with heat gun: 76.6

She’s in the cool spot away from her lights. I’m concerned because she was just in recovery and then now her body decides to want to brumate. Looking into making an appointment with another vet in the area that has reptiles himself, most of the ones around my area seem to have more experience with birds but this one has reptiles so I’m hoping for some good news.

I’ll keep everyone updated.

Temps in Fahrenheit btw

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is she doing? Please check on her daily, so she doesn't lose weight. She isn't 100% so I'm not
sure she should be brumating very hard. I know it's hard trying to keep them from brumating when they
want to automatically go in.
You are taking her into another vet soon? Keep us posted on how things go.

Tracie

Lelu01_

Original Poster
Hello,

How is she doing? Please check on her daily, so she doesn't lose weight. She isn't 100% so I'm not
sure she should be brumating very hard. I know it's hard trying to keep them from brumating when they
want to automatically go in.
You are taking her into another vet soon? Keep us posted on how things go.

Tracie
Hi Tracie,

I wanted to let you know how Suzi is doing. She’s moving around more, still not eating. I took her to the vet and they did a blood test and sent it to a lab. In the voicemail my vet left me he said everything is normal except for her white blood cell count. It’s 20,000 which he said is suppose to be between 3,000 and 15,000. She also lost another 10 grams so now she is at 270 grams.

I’m suppose to be discussing with him where we should go from there. Any insight on what this could mean? She was asleep for a week so I didn’t give her critical care but I’m gonna start that back up now since she is awake and continue to offer her horn worms and superworms. I also got spinach for her to offer but I doubt she’ll eat it, she’s always been picky with greens. Her eyes are doing great she is keeping them open other than when she’s sleepy so I don’t see any issues with them anymore as of right now.

Last edited:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Leea,

I got your email & will answer this evening.
How is little Suzi doing tonight? I'm glad she is moving around a little more. At least she is keeping
her eyes open more now so that is a big improvement.
I highly recommend starting her up on the critical care daily. Try adding some chicken or turkey baby
food along with some sweet potato or squash baby food to make the critical care more palatable. Have
you tried arugula for greens, a lot of them like that flavor. Keep offering the worm varieties & maybe her
appetite will improve soon.
Keep us posted on her!

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom