Which bulb from home depot is best for my new tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I got one from Home Depot and it was too hot - I had gotten a Phillips 90 watt and it makes his basking spot over 200 degrees- I have not used it --- I am using a Exo Terro 100 watt and my tank is a 120 gallon Zen Habitat-- keeps basking area plenty warm --- I also have a heat emitter 100 watt on top as well but thats in the center of the tank -- and I also live in MN so its needed during winter and off during the summer!

Karrie

DragonQueeen

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3rdt26ix said:
I got one from Home Depot and it was too hot - I had gotten a Phillips 90 watt and it makes his basking spot over 200 degrees- I have not used it --- I am using a Exo Terro 100 watt and my tank is a 120 gallon Zen Habitat-- keeps basking area plenty warm --- I also have a heat emitter 100 watt on top as well but thats in the center of the tank -- and I also live in MN so its needed during winter and off during the summer!

Karrie

I’ll try a 60-70 watt, just cause I’m trying to stay away from reptile brand bulbs. Thank you!

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
I’ll try a 60-70 watt, just cause I’m trying to stay away from reptile brand bulbs. Thank you!

That's probably a good place to start. I have found that 75 W floods work best for me. If you can, try to get a fixture with a dimmer switch too. It makes it way easier to fine-tune the spot temperature vs trial & error with distances.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You'll need to try some different wattages to find what works best in your tank. I use a 90w GE PAR38 halogen flood and it works well for my setup. I have the bulb about 25 inches above the bottom of the tank though. Avoid the eco bulbs and LEDs as they won't produce enough heat. Using a dimmer switch to fine tune or suspending it from an adjustable stand is a good idea as mentioned.

SPandS

Juvie Member
I use regular house hold halogen bulbs from the dollar store. Usually a 2 pack, sometimes even a 3 pack for $1. I agree with using a dimmer, it makes everything so much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom