Where to get styrofoam

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
I think it has been mentioned here before - about where / how to get free styrofoam. I believe someone suggested going to different businesses. I don't know why, but I am a little nervous doing this. I was wondering if someone has done this and could tell me, or if anyone has suggestions on what types of stores or businesses I would have better luck at. There supposed to be saving me some at work, but we really don't get too much in with deliveries.

Thanks

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
lol there is really nothing to be nervous about. just go to any store, electronics or department store would probably be the best, and ask if they have any styrofoam that they are throwing out. ooooor you could just go to the back of the building and go dumpster diving for some. that way you don't have to ask...

starlake

I would say businesses that deliver a lot of large appliances or stereo equipment would be good. I've never done this for styrofoam, but I have for boxes. In most cases, they are pleased to have someone else worry about disposing of them for a change. It helps if you can work out a way to do it that doesn't make any additional work for the people in the store.

Also another way you could do it, is on trash day go for a little drive and see if anyone is throwing out appliance boxes! I remembered i saved my vacuum box with the styrofoam in it! I have been having a blast all night carving up some nifty shapes/platforms and such. Tomorrow i am going to attempt for the first time grouting it then sealing it. I was wondering if anyone knows some proven tricks to getting a quality rock look. Is there a way to use that "great stuff" or is it just trial and error?

thebigdc

I recently made a platform for my beardies with styrofoam and grout. Whatever you do, please do not have it directly under their basking lamp. It will melt the styrofoam.

I got a lots from our local stereo store, and many interesting shapes too.
They were happy to give to me and not have to pay the waste removal fee on a full dumpster.
bmj

3cherries

Hatchling Member
I actually just scored at hobby lobby (arts/craft store) lady was unpacking boxes when I was shopping and got a ton, they also have some you can buy..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivannam17
Top Bottom