When To Transition To Mostly Veggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizard of Light

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ardbert
Ardbert is only 3 months old, so I know he still has a ways to go before it’s time to make the dietarh switch, but I was wondering at what point do we start to gradually decrease the bugs and increase the produce?

Just want to be prepared and ensure my baby boy stays at a healthy weight for life. ^^

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Generally it's when they reach full size at around 12-18 months. I'd do a gradual transition during that window until he is eating bugs maybe once or twice per week and eating a good salad daily. You have a while before then, but it's still good to offer veges every day so he gets used to it as an available food option, even if it is mostly ignored for now.

Lizard of Light

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ardbert
CooperDragon":jkdh8ely said:
Generally it's when they reach full size at around 12-18 months. I'd do a gradual transition during that window until he is eating bugs maybe once or twice per week and eating a good salad daily. You have a while before then, but it's still good to offer veges every day so he gets used to it as an available food option, even if it is mostly ignored for now.

Figured as much, thank you!

He eats bits of kale every other day atm, but I was a bit concerned since he and his siblings were pretty enthusiastic about eating their veggies with the breeder. :lol:

At least he gets some plant nutrients from the big fat silkworms I give him for dessert after a BSFL meal? XD

Lizard of Light

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ardbert
Okay, another couple questions:

1) I just tried topping his salad with bee pollen after he wouldn't eat any veggies offered the past few days. I rubbed a bit on his lip and he'd blep a bit, though still wouldn't touch the veggies. He did however, lick at the spot a bit of salad I tried to offer him, so he seems somewhat interested even if he still is turning down greens (and even the carrots and grapes). Am I on the right track here? I'll be trying this everyday if I'm doing it right, though maybe with less trying to make him eat since he just kept trying to run back into his tank, which otherwise never happens when he's out. :lol:

2) I have some Repashy Beardie Buffet on hand as well, but I want to know if it would help at all get him interested in the taste of veggies and if it's okay to try it on a 3 month old juvenile (he's 12 in long now)?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah trying some different things like that with the veges is the way to go. I've had success cutting squash into worm shapes and hand feeding them to create some movement. Might be worth giving that a try.

76248-9983280538.jpg

I haven't had much luck with beardie buffet. That may just be timing or a personal preference of my dragon though, since a lot of dragons seem to love it. I don't know if it will help drive interest in veges, but it's worth trying a little bit in order to add some variety.

Lizard of Light

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ardbert
Thanks for your advice, Cooper! I’ll definitely try the worm shapes when I get ahold of some squash.

Also, I mixed in bsfl and silkworms into Ardie’s salad along with the bee pollen, and he managed to eat half the salad! :blob8:

Still some bsfl left in there, so if he doesn’t go for them later, I’ll be picking them out, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom