When to start him back up on live food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
Alright, to go back a bit, Scout and Riza have been out of brumation for awhile now, and my sis and I are currently offering them salads with mustard greens, collard greens, acorn squash, and occasionally some fruit n veggies. ^^

Neither of them are really eating them that much right now(They've both always "loved" their salads. :roll:) and considering Scout is 22 months and Riza's several years old, they should both be eating salads more than bugs.

I figured after these four or so months of no superworms(Their main food) that they should get over that addiction and eat salads!

I'm also debating between getting more crix or more superworms....

I have some superworms still but I (oops) forgot about them for a few months and most are dead...... I hate superworms so much.... Crickets smell so bad.

But I can feed crickets to my dragons ,crested geckos, gargoyle gecko, and maybe some day a praying mantis.

TL;DR, Should I get them to eat salads before I offer any live food? Both are very VERY healthy and fat and active!

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
I'd offer them some live insects at least once a week at this point. While yes, they will often eat significantly more greens as adults than as babies, sometimes it can take the sight of live food to really get their appetite going again. Live food has lots more calories than salads do, and coming right out of brumation they may prefer to eat something that is more calorie dense than greens.

Try giving them some superworms and/or crickets once, and if they continue to fast off the greens, for a few weeks just feed them as many insects as they'll eat. After that, you can comfortably give them the "harsh treatment" and go back to only offering them greens for a while. Coming right out of brumation, sometimes live food is what it takes to entice them back into eating regularly again.

-Jen

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
I'd give him some water as well if he had just woken up... They loose a lot of water during brumation and are very thirsty when awaken. that's they first thing I do before feeding my bearded after they have just woken up from their slumber: give them water. Your bearded may not want to eat after he has woken because he/she may be a little dehydrated. :wink:

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh yeah, he's been up for awhile now and they both get baths once ro twice a week and they do like to drink water! They'll even just drink it if we offer it to them from a cup or drip some on their nose! It looks like Riza's actually already getting into the habit of eating salads again, but scout's still being picky.
Whenever he sees the salads(I'll put him in front of his dish so he knows foods there) he startes blackbearding and runs to his log. (His way of throwing a fit I assume).

He's cute and funny, but a pain. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom