When does it stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screamin99

Juvie Member
Lazlo woke up from burmation and was having a hard time with pin worms. I gave 4 doses of pancur as per what the vet gave me. Ive been offering greens (he isn't eating them) Ive been giving baths (he still doesn't mind them) And just doing the best I can with this little guy. I picked him up in August 09' and he was about 8inches long at that time. He is roughly 21-24 inches long now nose to tail and is about 640-700 grams. Ive dont have to force feed him anything, but I do since feeders are hard to get ahold of in the winter time and he doesn't like crickets anymore.

My main thing is that Ive been told he is at that age where he wants to find a female, he runs around his tank from sun up to sun down. He bangs and scratches and claws everything in his path trying to find an exit. With having a large dog I can't really get him out and allow him to run, plus the girlfriend is VERY much afraid of him. How long will he go down this road of the banging and scratching and not eating? I gave him some reptiworms that arrived dead yesterday (cold temps killed them in shipping im sure) He ate at least 10 large ones straight down.

I just want to know when he will snap out of this love struck spell and start to settle down again.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
I hate to tell you this, but some dragons will do it on occasion for a week or two throughout the warmer months, but I have other dragons that do it all summer long for a little while every day.

Screamin99

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Im hoping it has something to do with him being in shed. This is literally the first time he has shed in IDK how long. I love the little guy but he drives me freaking crazy when hes banging around his tank all day. I think I could deal with the banging around for a bit at a time. However he hasn't eaten any greens really since long before he went down for burmation. when might he start back eating his greens again?

Screamin99

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Still a champ, like clock work. Lights come on and hes trying to jump up and hang off his lights. He's trying to climb out the top of his viv (14" from his bask and he will jump up and grab it!) He smacks the cage walls with his face, still refusing to eat greens. Won't touch supers.. Sometimes he will eat a hornworm, if im lucky. Dubai roaches were a total waste as he wouldn't touch them either.

Ive been trying to get a fecal for the vet, but he just isn't eating right and when he does eat and have something left behind. He runs through it and makes amazing art work all over his tiles.

Is this mating season? Or am I just the lucky one and my dragon went crazy?

Gail

BD.org Addict
It has a lot to do with it being breeding season. He should settle down in time but it could be awhile. You really need to let him out to run off some extra energy. If you are worried about the dog, then take the dragon in a bedroom to run. A dragon can live 12+ years, I suggest your girl friend try to get over her fear, thats a long time to make a dragon stay cage bound because someone is afraid of it.

Screamin99

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the post, after his shed I had hoped he would calm down some, but it was the same tune. I changed his light schedule around a bit so he stays up later and gets up later.

I give him a bath about every two days or so, hes had one daily for the last week since he has been so worked up and his bathroom habits reflect all the water :shock: I just wish he would eat. I can let him run around in a room no problem.. I just don't want him to maybe get behind something and get stuck maybe. I don't think the dog would bother him, but rather he bother her haha. The pitbull hardly ventures off the sofa so he's of no threat really although he would likely pester him if he seen him on the ground, but I wouldn't allow that to happen. Wouldn't want either of them being hurt.

So around what time should I see him start to calm down some? How long is breeding season normally? would cracking a window to get some fresh air in maybe calm him down some?

Just trying to help the little guy out, hes looking thin and just doesn't want nothing at all to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom