When does breeding season end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
Question in the title!

Just curious because my boy Scout(lol Boyscout) is going crazy with blackbearding/bobbing/wanting a girlfriend, ect and he's on a hunger strike due to breeding season I assume. He's healthy and not losing any weight, so I'm not worried, I've gotten him to eat a few superworms, but no salad or crickets.
Just curious when his hormones will calm down so he can focus on more important things...like eating.

And mods, if this isn't in the right section, please move it to the appropriate section! Thanks!

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Ha ha, if you have a hormonal male, it may be a long time! Some males are good breeders because they never stop wanting to breed, seriously, some will even breed their blankets or your shoe! When breeders are buying males, proven can be very important because not all males will do the deed so well. I have the most amazing looking pure white male that is practically safe with any female. He must have low T, which is hard to believe from the size of his bumps, but he just lays around with the girls and will not try to breed any of them. I don't know what to say about your male, if he's full grown he could easily go months without food, so let him wear himself out and eventually he'll calm down enough to eat. If he's still young and only in his second year, food probably won't become as important until his third year!

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah, he's only 22 months old. XD The most he's eaten in the last week was about 6-10 large crix. Then he lost interest and started bobbing.

I'd love to breed him some day, stud service or something(Since we don't have room to house a bunch of baby beardies, especially with the crested gecko hatchlings I'll have eventually!), since I absolutely love his looks. He's just a 'normal', but when he's really happy, he's a pretty light yellowy tan colour. ^^

Luckily he hasn't tried to breed with blankets or shoes yet. XD But he HAS tried to breed with our female beardie. We had them outside together and then Scout jumped out of my hands and got over to her, nearly getting her, but we stopped him in time!!
But yeah, he's a really hormonal male and I'm guessing he'd breed with whatever female you put with him. And I definitely know that male lizards seem to not care about food when there are ladies about.
I'm not sure who's worse though, my male crested gecko Dagger who's already been bred with one of my two female geckos he'll be paired with (he's now separated so he tries to bite my hand and makes mating calls whenever he does so) or Scout who will spend a nice chunk of time running back and forth in his cage bobbing and black bearding. At least he's not aggressive towards me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom