When do beardies start to brumate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayceeBuddy67

Juvie Member
Miss Buddy is around the age to start brumation. =o she lately wants to slow down. She wouldn't bask for most of yesterday. She also slept in her cave almost all day. I need to get her live food really bad. Any idea why she is so lazy lately?

randtm

Our bearded is a heavy brumater. He's down for a solid three months + every year and starts slowing down significantly as soon as the days start getting shorter after June 22nd. He also seems to keep backing up about 2 weeks sooner every year which is a real pain, and he's been out now for about a week already this year. But man, does he sure have energy when he wakes up in three months or so! We used to fuss and worry over him when he was young and started brumating and just didn't really understand that yes, brumating means they're going to sleep, uninterrupted, for WEEKS on end and there's nothing you can do about it and forcing them to get up and eat and so forth is pointless. If you can get yours up and interested in food, fine, but if she just keeps curling back up in her cave, and appears healthy otherwise, she's probably just brumating and you'll see her again in a few weeks. It's hard to understand and accept, as warm blooded mammals, that this is normal for them, but we've come to understand it better now after a few years of seeing it. I've actually watched him very closely while brumating and discovered he even only breathes about twice a minute. It is a strange phenomenon till you get used to it. Good Luck!

JayceeBuddy67

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you! This is my first beadie, so its my first brumation. I didn't know if they started this early, so now I know! ATM she is curled up UNDER her papertowels "smiling" at me! I'm sure gonna miss my beardie for a while! Its OK though. Should I still offer food? Should I turn her tights off? Add mor hides? Sorry for the questions! I'm guessing that she hatched during the brumation months, because me and a lot of other users guessed that she is almost a year. Thank you in advance!

randtm

Perhaps others could give you better, more informed answers, but I'll offer from my experience with the one bearded we've had. We have a large rock ours perches on and sleeps on until it's time to brumate, then he curls up in a corner and sleeps... and sleeps. He's not really shown any interest in hiding, just happy to curl up in a corner. So if yours likes being in a hide, sounds like that's her thing. I used to alter the time on the lights on ours until I read other posts on this forum years ago that said it doesn't much matter. Now I just leave them on 12 on 12 off year round. From my understanding, if your house stays in the upper 60's to low 70's, you DO NOT want to provide any supplemental heating when the lights are off as it is healthier for them to cool down during the dark hours. In terms of food, I'd offer it if she wakes up, but otherwise not worry about it. If we wake ours up, he might go for crickets in he early days of brumating, but won't touch greens and isn't much interested in anything once he really starts sleeping. BUT, be ready to mail order a shipment of 1000 crickets as soon as she wakes up in a few weeks. Ours goes through that in 3 weeks once he's up. One last word of warning though... it sounds like yours is just brumating, but given the age, you should know about this post concerning coccidia... viewtopic.php?f=6&t=210156.

Unless you have the really bad smelling stools, it's probably not a concern, but I wanted to mention it given your bearded's age. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom