When can I get a 2nd beardie? Should I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycia

This may surprise some of you who have read my posts with the trials and anxiety and the thousand questions I have about Apollo my new beardie who I have had for exactly 2 weeks today. But I am thinking of getting a 2nd one!
So I want to know from multiple beardie owners, is it a good idea?
I work so I'm away from home for about 10 hours during the day on weekdays and I wonder about Apollo being bored and lonely. I leave the tv on for him and he can see it from his tank but still I wonder if he'd like company. I can't imagine, other than a slight financial increase, that taking care of 2 beardies can be that much harder than taking care of one. However I hear that beardies are solitary creatures and just fine alone, even prefer it. So any advice on whether they need company, whether its best to have them both while they're young and raise them together, 2 males vs. 2 females or one of each, etc...

kakequinn

When you get another beardie is up to you.

However, bearded dragons will fight if together so it's really not a good idea to keep them in the same tank.If you did get one, it shouldn't be for companionship for the other since it's not a good idea for them to be together.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
No, beardies do not get lonely. Yes they are territorial and solitary and only get together to mate in the wild. I have 3 and they don't like to even see each other. When I have all three out at the same time I have to close the doors 2 three diffent rooms or my older female will try to attack my younger one. So 2 beardies equals 2 enclosures.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I believe they can get bored, but probably not lonely. Being territorial they don't have a concept of companionship, and we are fortunate they are as affectionate with us as they are. It's more likely they will annoy each other or even fight. Some get what almost would seem to be jealous of other dragons getting attention.

Apollo will be much happier if you simply dedicate time to him and his enrichment than another beardie. Instead of another setup/dragon/food bill come up with some things to keep him occupied, like a bigger enclosure with more furniture, or fancy treat worms now and again. Placing the cage with a view of the outside (but not in the sunlight) might give him something to watch too, as long as it doesn't stress him.

Lycia

Original Poster
As long as I know he's happy, he can stay the only one. I guess I need to get used to reptile behavior and needs. I certainly don't want to have dragons that can't/won't interact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom