Whats wrong with my male Dubia

Mollie the dragon

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mollie
Does anyone know why my adult male dubias wings are getting like this? It looks like the other roaches are eating them or something? i really dont know whats happening.
20230425_192216.jpg

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I've seen mine do that also, but I'm mot sure why

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
9 times out of 10 it's because your male:female ratio is off. You have too many males.

Less common it's a lack of food issue.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If there are too many males per female, the males will fight yes.

3 females per male is what I would aim for.

-Brandon

Last edited:

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
wait so wouldnt they fight if there were 3 of them and only 1 female then?
When I started breeding dubias, I read about recommendations from one of the local roach sellers.
They did research to maximize the productivity of the colony.
There must be more females than males, otherwise the males start fighting forgetting about the females.
Here's what they said about ratio:
In our experience, the ideal female to male ratio for breeding is between 3:1 and 7:1. Below 3:1 males become overly aggressive. When this happens, high stress suppresses mating activity in the colony. This leads to performance degradation. Performance also drops after 7:1, but we don't know why. We suspect that some measure of "good stress" motivates mating, but this is just a guess.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It really depends on who you ask, my girlfriend manages apartment communities she thinks ANY roaches are bad lmao 🤣 😂..... you should have seen me ducking for cover the first time she caught me bringing dubias in, i still sleep with one eye open lol.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom