What's the true answer on multiple dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero138

Hatchling Member
Ok so some of us say yes and others no. I just bought a dragon that is missing a toe from an earlier encounter for 15 bucks. I'm way exited and I want to house it with Dexter. However the fact it's missing a toe is going to lead some of you to call me names and point out the obvious. My question is this, Dexter is in a 50 gallon and has his spots picked out. Will this new dragon try and take dexters spots? I have plenty of basking spots and I feed out side of the tank and those are the two main problems I see people talking about is not allowing the other to eat and not sharing heat. So If i provide ample light and feed separately will these two dragons coexist or should I house separately. Either is an option we have another 55 gallon at our friends that he said we could use but i wanna try to house them together first. So I want your opinions and no fighting with each other this is more of a poll with more details, so yes or no, how many and what sexes? Thanks everyone let's clear this up once and for all.
Zero

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
The true answer is not one can truthfully tell you if they you house them together they will be ok even if you give them everything under the sun x2. They might get along or they might kill each other. The aggression could start from day one, or it could be years down the road. It's a risk, and not matter how hard you try and keep it equal, it still might not be enough.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
I cant give you a simple answer here. Added to the fact that almost everyone has an opinion on the subject.
What I can tell you is I dont do it. 1 Pooper. 1 tank.
I can also tell you why I dont.
Reptiles have a different way with each other than mammals do. Even if We do not perceive it the are subtle stress signals going on. Over time this can shorten a dragons life span, being in a constant state of stress. Just like people. They adapt and deal with it. Some violently, some passively. Either way not healthy.

Deemac6

Juvie Member
Personally I would never do it, I think doing something that has the potential to be life threatening to a life is a risk that should never be taken. The fact that there are risks no matter how great should be enough of a put off. As stated you might not even notice and think things are great and end up waking up one morning to either another missing toe or something even worse. The thing people tend to forget when purchasing pets like this is that they are animals, they have a way they have evolved to live and we can't change that. These animals do not live together in the wild and should not be put together in a tank, no matter how big it is still a tiny place compared to what they have evolved in. As i've said before people have gotten away with driving with children without a car seat, and some haven't, would you risk your child? Just because some people got lucky doesn't mean everyone should start doing it.

When you take home a pet into your care you are taking on the responsibility of their life, you make a promise to give them the best possible life they can have in captivity, why would you want to cut them short on that.

jstouts

Hatchling Member
if they are male and male definitly don't house them together. they will most likely kill each other. Male and female, you need a bigger tank. I housed my male and female together for a bit in a 50 gal but it didn't work out so I separated them. the male is happier, but the female seems depressed.

Zero138

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well. Think I'm going to try it to they get older they are still babies. Once I know the sexes I will probaly separate them. Fist off let me thank you all for not arguing and just speaking your mind! Not many forums where I can ask for true answers and no fighting and get just that! Best forum on the web!

Mine have been together for 4 weeks, Dory attacked Desmond once when i took all of the stuff out of the cage to clean it which i think just scared her, now i take them out first before doing so, & they havent done anything harmful to each other since.
I planned on getting Desmond for MONTHS, but when the day arrived the guy who sold them to me (from a very known brilliant reptile house) recommended i get two (if i could afford it) so it wouldnt get lonely, so why did he say that if he knew id have to seperate them? I dont believe it was for more money cos he said only do it if you can afford it! Id be very upset if i had to seperate them, they are cute with each other!

Deemac6

Juvie Member
They don't get lonely, they don't associate in the wild, they are solitary. They only ever come together to mate, they are not dogs. Like its been said above attacking is NOT the only bad sign, you might not even notice the stress one puts on the other and like said about, as with humans stress takes a toll and can shorten lives along with making them sick.

I'll say it again, they are solitary, when you house them together you run the risk, the risk of death, mutilation and other health risks. YOU are putting your animals in that situation, I just hope for their sake you make the right choice.

Zero138

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ya we have ring around and Dexter in different homes now. Dexter was way to stressed. It lasted all of a day.

Deemac6

Juvie Member
Might I ask who this very brilliant reptile guy was? Also did he give you a discount on the second beardie, cause if not then he made profit off both which I would bet money on was his plan. Easy way to guilt people into buying more items is to make it out that your new little friend will get lonely.

Cocky

Hatchling Member
Although I understand about they are solitary animals, one thing that puzzles me is that alot of these animals now are raised and housed together in petshops or breeders until they are bought, so how does the beardie know it does not like company???

Deemac6

Juvie Member
Breeders separate tank mates as they get older, when they are young the nippy ones are weaned out first. Please tell me when you've seen a happy batch of dragons in a pet store, stress and dominance free? Instincts, they have evolved as a solitary species and at the core remain so.

Cocky

Hatchling Member
Local breeder by me, has 2 or 3 housed in the same Viv, all looked well and healthy and were all adults.

They also keep the younger beardies together in cages of 2 for sale.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
Cocky":2uzlsyb9 said:
Although I understand about they are solitary animals, one thing that puzzles me is that alot of these animals now are raised and housed together in petshops or breeders until they are bought, so how does the beardie know it does not like company???

Because it's genetic. Bonding is a chemical reaction used as a survive technique for creatures that can not survive on their own. When a mother gives birth, nurses, and holds her baby, these bonding hormones are released. Social animals bond with each other otherwise they would leave for another group as soon as they didn't get their way, which would greatly decrease their chances of survival. Bearded dragons, like many reptiles are not social animals, they are independent from the moment they hatch. Many of them reproduce in mass numbers. The reason why mass numbers are produced like that is because most will not survive. I don't know the percentages of their survival rate, but knowing that 1 female can produce up to 150 eggs from 1 mating, Australia would be overrun with them if even a majority did survive. Food is limited, at times scarce, competition is high. Having buddies would decrease their survival rate. Reptiles are actually very highly evolved, physically they are very efficient. I kinda doubt they would waste resources on producing a chemical that would lessen their survival. And just like you can't breed the instincts out of dogs, you can't do the same for other animals. There's always going to be some wild stuff there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anastasiacolson
Top Bottom