What's the problem with reptiGLO 10.0 coil UVB??

Status
Not open for further replies.

THallman30

I have one and I have been reading about how bad they are and started wondering what it would do to my little guy. Really don't have the money to buy a tube light kit and bulb. If any one has any extra for pretty cheap message me. Thanks

Phoebe

Hatchling Member
You might be able to find a ReptiSun on Ebay or somewhere for cheaper than normal price. Reptiglo really aren't good as they are known to give bearded dragon eye problems and a lot of other problems

Jess

Extreme Poster
The coils just don't give off an adequate amount of UVB for a beardie, and the area that they do give off UVB in is so intense that it can damage their eyes.
You can actually get a UVB and fixture for about $35.

Get a ReptiSun 10.0 tube at http://www.petmountain.com The UVB is $25, and they usually have some free shipping deals going on.

For the fixture, you can find this one at Walmart for $9.
http://www.amazon.com/Lights-America-7020-6-Under-Cabinet/dp/B00004WA4D/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310689866&sr=8-1

Rud3Bwoy

Sub-Adult Member
i had the coil before getting the reptisun

if it can hurt my eyes imagine what it does to your little guy.

THallman30

Original Poster
Just ordered a Reptisun 10.0 and hood. Couldn't get a under cabinet fixture to fix in my 10 gal. I'll have to look into it when he gets big enough to move to a bigger tank. Thanks for the advise guys!

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
An 18 inch should work for a ten gal, I had it on a 29 and had room to spare...but hey glad you got a fixture. Be sure to remove any splash guards or screen so your beardie gets unfiltered UVB.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
the levels of UVB fluctuate, and with the coils are soo low they can be in the UVC range, which causes reall damage to the retinas and as they need UVB for calcium and other processes it can have a wide effect. If you are in EUrope Arcadis 12% are the best, but in the US reptiSUN 10 are sufficiant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom