WHAT TYPE OF UVB IS BEST FOR MY BEARDIE!????????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am currently using Repti-Glo UVBs for my baby beardies but have since been told this isn't the best product to use.What UVB should I be using??? I need a 48", a 36" and a 12"??

Any suggestions from anyone how knows what they are talking about?

Thanks

Mark!!!!

Bootz

I've not had any trouble with my Repti-Glo tubes, and I've been using them with all my animals with no ill effects.

But just in case... What is it that is wrong with them?

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Hi Bootz,
I have used them as well but over time you get VERY inconsistant uvb/uva lighting from them. The reptisun 10 stays consistant over a 6 month period then starts to fade out.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
ZooMeds ReptiSun brand has been around for like, 15 years. they have been tested nearly as long and they are safe, even at very close proximity. all the exoterra UV-B tubes are cheap copies, they rushed through development.

basically, the powdery stuff that coats the inside of the bulb is what keeps just the good UV light(A and B) come through while filtering out the bad(UV-C).

well exoterra didnt get it exactly right and their bulbs let off UV that is dangerously close to UV-C range spectrum. instead of fixing the problem theyre waiting for enough complaints to make the dscision.

so far there is no complete study on the effects of UV-C on bearded dragons. for most animals on earth, UV-C causes skin cancer and cataracts. it is not a far leap then, that it could pose the same threat to our dragons. it seems unbelievable that such studies havent been done yet but appearently thats the case.

all you have to do is search the forums here; just type in something like "help reptiglo" or "reptiglo problem"... your bound to find dozens of stories where people say their dragon is closing its eyes or seems weak and lethargic. as soon as we get them to change their light to a safe one they usualy perk up.

basically, if you wanna play it safe use ReptiSun. 10.0 is best but if you store only has 5 itll work, they just need to climb closer to the bulb to get the same amount of benificial light.

if you can buy off the internet thats the best way. RS 10.0 costs 69.99 at petsmart and only 19.99 on PetMountain.com

actually, if your tank is at least two feet tall and is long enough, Mercury Vapor Bulbs are the best way to go. im about to order a couple because im sick of trying to creat a spot where the rays from both the heat and UV-B lamps fall. with an MVB, its just the one bulb for Light, Heat, UV-A and UV-B.

hope that was more helpful than confusing :wink: .

Bootz

Thanx. I'll look into it. The wife has me on a spending limit until I get her something though. You wouldn't happen to have any ideas about something I could put in her enclosure to make her happier would you? :wink:

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
visit this link:

http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-fluorescent-bulbs/504983/reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html

it has all those sizes except for 12". what is it that your keeping in that small of a cage? to get a proper heat gradiant, you need enough space on the oposite side of the heat light. its ok for the uv_b flourescent to span the whole cage but if your cage is only 12" long then you might run into problems keeping the cool side cool(which is important).

if you are planning on setting it up differently in a bigger cage then disregaurd that last paragraph.

markyboy81

Original Poster
I am keeping just one baby in that tank with the 12" bulb, he is the runt of the litter and it seemed like the responsible thing to do to separate him before he got dominated, I'm currently looking to buy some second hand vivs from 2 foot up so if anyone has any let me know please!!!

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
oh ok.

most people here would suggest buying the 40gallon if you can afford it and have room for it. it really isnt cost efficient to buy different sized tanks as they grow; its better to get something like a 40 and just let them grow into it.

i really cant imagine too good of a heat grade in a 12" long tank. i used to have an exoterra 12" cube. it wasnt good for my little dragon; the hot side wasnt even hot enough but the cool side was too hot. i hade to move up to a 40 to get a real good heat grade; 100-110(ground temp) on the hot side and 75-80(air temp) on cool side.

to get a reliable measurment be sure to get either a digital probe thermometer or an IR thermometer gun(those are awesome). those little stick on ones the stores try to sell you can be as much as 10 degrees off from the shown temp. if you put it in the wrong place while measuring the hot side(like on the inside of the glass) youll get an even more inaccurate reading.

markyboy81

Original Poster
JScott, are you suggesting I get a bigger viv that has the 12" UV i ?? he is only in there at the moment coz be was being dominated and I thought it would be better to give him his own space but if you think I should just buy a bigger viv then that is what I will do!!!

Seven65

Juvie Member
Yes you're right it is very good for them to be in seperate enclosures. But the enclosure needs to be big enough that there can be a varied temperature. As you probably know, reptiles are cold blooded and can't regulate the temperature in their bodies on thier own, the temperature depends on their enviorment. There needs to be a hot side and a cold side so they can regulate their temperature. As said before, your best bet is to get a minimum of a 40 gallon tank. That is the smallest size that will be suitable from youth through adulthood.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
yes, if your going to buy another viv, dont buy a 20 or 30 gallon; get at least a 40gallon.

you say your getting 2 5ft long ones? great! how wide are they? the wider the better. most tanks are only 1.5' wide but if you can find a 2' wide one even better. that way your dragon wont just be going back and forth; theyll have some depth too.

if you get those big vivs though, make sure you order proper light. those big huge tanks could support MVBs. then you woouldnt need to worry about providing heat, light, uva and uvb with 2 seperate bulbs, all youd need is one MVB per cage.

good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom