What to do with too-large Dubia

Status
Not open for further replies.

jducky18

Hatchling Member
So, I bought two containers of Dubia roaches from an expo last week, and I have been feeding them to my 2 1/2 month old baby just fine, except that I have about ten, possibly more, roaches that are way too big for the little guy to eat. What do I do with them? I'm a little squeamish so I really don't want to squish them, but I can't just throw them out either.... so, what do I do? They're not adults by any stretch of the imagination, they are just way too big for my baby to eat, and I really don't want to keep them around for when he does grow up.

I know this is a silly question, but I honestly don't know what to do with them.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Keep them and just let them grow. Eventually they'll grow into maturity and you can start breeding your own roaches.

If you don't want to do that, simply put the roaches in a bag or something and freeze them. You probably could always find someone on the forum close to you to take them off you hands though :D

jducky18

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the help, the freezer thing sounds like a good idea. I don't have the time, the set-up, or the stomach for a colony right now, and it doesn't seem like there are really enough to send to anybody, but I think freezing them might help, until I either amass enough to send to someone, the little guy gets big enough to eat them, or I decide to start a colony. If I freeze the bugs, do they die?

I put my unwanted insects in a plastic ziploc, sprinkle in some diatomaceous earth, then toss it in the trash. I don't want them crawling through the bag or my garbage bag, and I don't like the idea of putting cockroaches in my freezer.

czuber

Hatchling Member
I would just keep them in your bin Eventually your Dragon will be big enough to eat them. You will be surprised by the size they can handle.

jducky18

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I don't have a colony. They're just left over from the ones I picked up when I first got my baby

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Buckmaster299":1u0ketv7 said:
O. OK. I didn't know. Lol.

Lol yeah I would definitely have freaked out if roaches were capable of cannibalizing each other. Supers do it and it's so gross.

Brieana

Hatchling Member
Actually, roaches can cannibalize. If they don't get enough protein, they will start eating each other.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Brieana":2s9ao2h8 said:
Actually, roaches can cannibalize. If they don't get enough protein, they will start eating each other.

Strange. The only thing I've seen is that sometimes the males will have their wings eaten if they don't get enough protein.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom