What to do about low humidity

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Hello, the humidity in my bearded dragons tank is reading 10% on her new digital probe hygrometer. It reads 25-30 on the other hygrometers. But they are not probes. I think It has been low because it is really cold outside the past couple of days. Should I do anything to bring it up?

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
I might get another digital probe hygrometer. The analogs all read exactly the same. And the probe doesnt move from ten even out of her tank now. It only moves sometimes. I don’t know if I broke it or if it was always broken. It seemed like it worked before. Or if it is really ten everywhere in my house.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I might get another digital probe hygrometer. The analogs all read exactly the same. And the probe doesnt move from ten even out of her tank now. It only moves sometimes. I don’t know if I broke it or if it was always broken. It seemed like it worked before. Or if it is really ten everywhere in my house.
Odd you might pick up.snitger one and compare

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Odd you might pick up.snitger one and compare
I was going to get the zoo med one. And I was doing a salt test on the one I got. I just don’t know what to do about the humidity right now. Because I don’t know if it is too low. Or if I try to make it higher, if I will make it too high.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
don't know if it helps, but i have 3 digital probe combination thermometer/hygrometers. They all read a different number, the one on the hot side being the lowest. for humidity purposes i always go by the one in the middle of the tank. right now it is super icy in my area and the humidity is much lower than it normally is.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I was going to get the zoo med one. And I was doing a salt test on the one I got. I just don’t know what to do about the humidity right now. Because I don’t know if it is too low. Or if I try to make it higher, if I will make it too high.
If it goes to 70% it's too high which I doubt it will

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
don't know if it helps, but i have 3 digital probe combination thermometer/hygrometers. They all read a different number, the one on the hot side being the lowest. for humidity purposes i always go by the one in the middle of the tank. right now it is super icy in my area and the humidity is much lower than it normally is.
Ok, thank you very much! That is normally how my analog hygrometers are too. They are reading lower than normal around 25-35. I got a new digital one to use because I thought it would be more accurate. So, now I’m a little confused. The hygrometer read 10 in her tank. Then I got it to read 28. But, now it is reading 10 most of the time now. I’m not sure if it is correct or not.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok, so should I keep the humidifiers on to help the humidity?
Any thing between 20-70% is ok - optimal is 40-50%--- get another reading place it on the back center wall when you shut lights off so you get a overnight reading- then if you haft to take her out of the tank to get a daytime reading - can you place it high enough so she can't reach it in that back wall?

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Any thing between 20-70% is ok - optimal is 40-50%--- get another reading place it on the back center wall when you shut lights off so you get a overnight reading- then if you haft to take her out of the tank to get a daytime reading - can you place it high enough so she can't reach it in that back wall?
I just put her to bed, so I can’t get an overnight reading today. It is cold, so I don’t want to open her tank up. Also, I was doing a salt test on the hygrometer. So, I don’t have access to it right now. But, I can just stop doing it and get a reading on her tank. I can try to put it on the back wall again. She just can’t watch as I put it in. For some reason she will only go after it when it is on the back wall. Thank you for your help! I will get a reading again tomorrow.

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
I just put her to bed, so I can’t get an overnight reading today. It is cold, so I don’t want to open her tank up. Also, I was doing a salt test on the hygrometer. So, I don’t have access to it right now. But, I can just stop doing it and get a reading on her tank. I can try to put it on the back wall again. She just can’t watch as I put it in. For some reason she will only go after it when it is on the back wall. Thank you for your help! I will get a reading again tomorrow.
I am probably going to get another digital hygrometer too because I think I broke this one. It just won’t come for a few days.

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
i use these to hold my probes to the wall, and then another above it to keep the cord taut. i wonder if they would work to keep your girl from the probes.

command cable clips
Ok, thank you! I will by some of those if I can’t get it in the back tomorrow. I’m thinking I’ll distract her with crickets. Then, hopefully she won’t notice it’s there. I think it is it dangling and moving around as I try to put it in place that makes her want to eat it. I was able to get it in the front wall today.

magicmagni

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Jackson
If not using a natural substrate you may consider it? Something like a basic 60/40 sand and topsoil mix? It can hold a reserve of water that would evaporate and raise humidity. Another idea is to take a water soaked paper towel and put it in a corner. As it dries it will raise humidity. Also simply misting down the enclosure in the morning. Like a morning dew.. Not a total monsoon. Can help too.

I'm slowly switching all my enclosures to these to measure humidity and temp. They are very accurrate and easy to use with your smartphone. It will also record the temp and humidity to look back on. If you slurge for two you can put one one each side, but if one just put in center of enclosure to get the average temp and humidity. I just stick them to the back wall with a command strip.

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
If not using a natural substrate you may consider it? Something like a basic 60/40 sand and topsoil mix? It can hold a reserve of water that would evaporate and raise humidity. Another idea is to take a water soaked paper towel and put it in a corner. As it dries it will raise humidity. Also simply misting down the enclosure in the morning. Like a morning dew.. Not a total monsoon. Can help too.

I'm slowly switching all my enclosures to these to measure humidity and temp. They are very accurrate and easy to use with your smartphone. It will also record the temp and humidity to look back on. If you slurge for two you can put one one each side, but if one just put in center of enclosure to get the average temp and humidity. I just stick them to the back wall with a command strip.
Ok, thank you very much!!!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok, I did. I was misting in the tank a bit. So, it’s at 30. But, it goes down quite quickly. I have 3 analog ones, and they all read about the same. So, I was quite surprised when the probe was much lower.
You've been given some great suggestions. :) Would recommend "not" misting inside the tank anymore, it causes humidity spikes which can lead to an upper respiratory infection.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom