What this beardie needs you to know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
What does this beardie need you to know?

DSC03058.jpg

That his owners should have perhaps checked under "her" tail sometime in the last few months because things have certainly changed under there...

Our girl is no girl (and I'll spare you the pictorial details). But here's a recent head shot of our boy. Man, it's going to be hard to get used to calling her (eh, him) that!

DSC03185.jpg

We examined the "area" several months back, and nada, if anything a single (if not very small) bump above the vent. "Ah, girl," we thought. For whatever reason, we just never bothered to check back, didn't want to invade "her" privacy I suppose. Well, I had a wild hair very recently and happened to lift that tail for a peak and low and behold, she'd traded her one bump for a good sized pair. Where in the *%&$ did those come from! :shock:

We're still laughing about it. Cloudy however, is NOT laughing, but as this picture suggests, rolling his eyes. :roll:

~In any case, our boy is still very much a princess~

The best,
Em

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
TheWolfmanTom":f8718 said:
We all make mistakes. I still get it wrong sometimes..lol

Tom, given your experience, you have no idea how much better that makes me feel. :)

Thanks!

Em

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
This happens a lot! I read so many threads like this: "My boy beardie just laid eggs, what now?!?"
I'm sorry, but it seems funny to me.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Ah, thanks you guys! I'm lovin' the reassurances. It was just such a funny moment . . . we've got this happy, healthy lizard with spot on husbandry, and we didn't happen to notice that she was a he? We are still getting used to calling Cloudy a "him" but I'm sure it will sink in eventually. Of course, it would easier if he weren't such a princess. :roll:

seadooz":170f5 said:
That's the reason I have a dragon we call "Lil Guy Gurl"

LOL I'm also now seeing the reason why there are girl dragons on the forum named things like Chuck, Frank and Howie. :laughhard: (Thanking DS for choosing a name that can easily go either way.)

Of course, most of the time we [still] call him "Precious." :|

:wink:

Thanks all,
Em

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Oh Em it happend to us too with Chimaira we thought she was a he for the longest time intill i really took a good look and WHAM we have a girl lol I still take a peek here and there just to make sure on the rest of our clan!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
We weren't sure if Sweetie was a boy or a girl until she laid an egg in her tank; that sure made up our minds. Since then we've gotten 4 more dragons, and got the sex wrong with our two little babies, they were opposite to what we thought, Ruby became Rubio; Issy stayed Issy but became short for Isabella. It feels strange to have a boy instead of a girl, yet their behaviour hasn't changed!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh wow, so "she" is a "he" after all. No worries, we love them all the same. Don't feel alone, we thought "Giz" was a "she" for quite a while until puberty hit and we saw a jet black beard one morning while doing a vicious headbob at Sabrina. So, Liz became Giz because that sounded like the most similar name that we could think of. :roll: At least you don't need to change his name. :p

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Oh, you all are so great. I love hearing all the "Ooops, it's a..." stories.

Freeie":50065 said:
Oh Em it happend to us too with Chimaira we thought she was a he for the longest time intill i really took a good look and WHAM we have a girl lol I still take a peek here and there just to make sure on the rest of our clan!

Indeed, it pays to take a peak at regular intervals. LOL

sweetiepie9":50065 said:
We weren't sure if Sweetie was a boy or a girl until she laid an egg in her tank; that sure made up our minds.

Oh, that must have been quite a moment! "Um, well, I'm thinking if Sweetie is a boy, he wouldn't be laying eggs in his tank!" :wink:

diamc":50065 said:
we thought "Giz" was a "she" for quite a while until puberty hit and we saw a jet black beard one morning

You nailed it, Diane. This is exactly what spurred me to look. I had actually been taking note of a few things lately: the fatter, less tapered tail (which I blamed on a hatchlinghood tail nip), the HUGE, fully triangle noggin that takes up more space than it should.LOL But I knew these weren't exclusive male traits so I didn't give it much thought. But then there was the other day. I was walking by the enclosure and there was Cloudy, standing right in the middle at the front of the glass, with a jet black beard. I knew he had some black under the surface there, but WOW, this was something altogether new. I picked him up which calmed him right down (he IS spoiled after all :wink: ) and decided to take a peak... Mm hm! Just as I suspected. :mrgreen:

diamc":50065 said:
No worries, we love them all the same.

Indeed, we do. :love5:

The best,
Em

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad we all made you feel better. We all know how they love to keep us on our toes, always expect the unexpected with them. :D

Yeah, the jet black beard pretty much cinched it, didn't it? The females beards can get dark but no where near as dark as a males, that's for sure. :eek:

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
diamc":8ede6 said:
Yeah, the jet black beard pretty much cinched it, didn't it? The females beards can get dark but no where near as dark as a males, that's for sure. :eek:

Oh, it was a sight to see, Diane! I brought him downstairs and my DH was like, "what wrong with our girl????" :shock: He was so worried... I ah, filled him in on the latest "details" of course. :wink:

Thanks again,
Em

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So, then you told him what sex "she" REALLY was, that must have shocked him. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom