What size tub?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nihilist

Hatchling Member
So I made another colony tub, 31 gallon this time. I have 200 medium Dubias growing in my first colony, a 18 gallon tube. I have 1000 small Dubias and 80 adults on there way. I my plan was to use the 1000 small ones just to feed my Bearded Dragon and let the 200 mature into adults. I was thinking about putting the Mediums and the small ones together, taking out the medium ones as they turn into adults. Now the question is should I put the small and medium ones in the 31 gallon and the adults in the 18 gallon? Or should I do the apposite?
The wife has lost her mind and is allowing me to use our walk-in closet to keep the tubs in to breed the roaches, I have 2 ceramic heaters in there keeping the ambient temperature at 84. I can lower them closer to the adult tub if need be.
I would highly appreciate any advise.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd put your breeding colony in the larger enclosure to provide plenty of room. I keep mine in a 20g long tank and it's large enough to house thousands (I don't have an exact count). That should work well assuming the 18g provides enough room for the small bugs. I'd imagine it would.

Nihilist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1oo9u3v1 said:
I'd put your breeding colony in the larger enclosure to provide plenty of room. I keep mine in a 20g long tank and it's large enough to house thousands (I don't have an exact count). That should work well assuming the 18g provides enough room for the small bugs. I'd imagine it would.

Than you very much, you are always extremely helpful. I am pretty positive the 18g could easily house the 1200 smaller Dubias. It's great to have someone with experience to ask questions. I hope I'm not abusing it. Believe me I Google everything before I ask but there are about 1 billion answers and they all conflict with each other.
This site needs a way to show how helpful a certain person is.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad to answer any questions the best I can. It's a discussion though so the more ideas and conversations we have kicking around, the better the information becomes. I like to think of it more as a group discussion to share ideas and experiences rather than a question/answer deal.

Nihilist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":16pt393s said:
I'm glad to answer any questions the best I can. It's a discussion though so the more ideas and conversations we have kicking around, the better the information becomes. I like to think of it more as a group discussion to share ideas and experiences rather than a question/answer deal.

Fair enough. I hope to make it to the point one day I can actually be helpful. It sucks being a noob at something, but I guess we all are that way when we start something new.

I can at least give the advise that crickets smell horrible. lol

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Just give it time and stay active with the discussions on here and you'll gain a lot of knowledge. I've learned a TON since joining this site as well as gaining my own experience over time. Knowing that crickets are smelly (and loud) (and a pain to care for) is a good start! =)

mommacude

Hatchling Member
Nihilist":xgnp9jjc said:
CooperDragon":xgnp9jjc said:
I can at least give the advise that crickets smell horrible. lol
:lol: :lol: that's about where I'm at too. I learn a lot reading everyone's questions. Got my house for the dragon just right, still working on his food so I don't have to keep buying more!! Just say no to stinky crickets :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom