What should I do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
I have a moral dilemma. I love Kohaku, but she is a year old now and about 12 inches long from nose to tail tip. Her diet has been collard or curly mustard greens with BSFL served in lieu of the greens two to three times a week.

Because of the way my condo is set up I can't let her run around the house freely, and right now I don't have the money to upgrade her enclosure from the Exo Terra Large Wide to a larger enclosure.

I want to keep her, but given the restrictions of availability for space to put a larger enclosure (the largest area in my house would be my kitchen table), outside of the lack of funds at this time I'm more concerned for her long term well being.

Should I see if any of the larger animal shelters, or representatives from the local reptile show can rehome her safely, or should I try something else. She usually basks on her grapevine branches when I open the enclosure doors on the weekend, but I'm thinking of long term welfare here.

Please advise.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Shidohari":y97jz6va said:
I have a moral dilemma. I love Kohaku, but she is a year old now and about 12 inches long from nose to tail tip. Her diet has been collard or curly mustard greens with BSFL served in lieu of the greens two to three times a week.
[color=#FF0000[color=#FF0000]]<<< LIVE insects offered each day + salad, since she's only at most a yearling.[/color]
[/color]
Because of the way my condo is set up I can't let her run around the house freely, and right now I don't have the money to upgrade her enclosure from the Exo Terra Large Wide to a larger enclosure.
<<<< Why can't she get some time to explore inside your home ?
if you want to exclude some rooms (close their doors)
if there are gaps under furnature , roll up some towels to block access , or simply break down some big cardboard boxes and use the cardboard sheets to block access.
are there other dangerous pets in the house ?

Some people buy a secondhand coffee table (4ft L x 2ft wide) and convert this to a lizard enclosure.
Other option is an under TV lizard tank ( converted timber buffet or TV stand ) . These can be picked up very cheaply at secondhand homegoods sales/ garage sales....

She will be getting big enough soon to need a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft tank for her forever home , these are easy to build (or a cabinet maker can make one for you (that looks pretty nice) for the cost of the materials and their labour …. I'd specify marine plywood 3/4" thick only stained or vanished on the OUTSIDE, sliding glass doors on the front (2x 2.1ft x 18" x 6mm thick glass) , one end with 6x round cupboard vents high, opposite end 4x round cupboard vents low).

My tip , if floor mounted or a converted coffee table or buffet , I would put 2" diam coasters under it and kick board so the dragon can't get under , makes it all a lot easier to move around the room (living area / dining room / lounge room / bedroom) without having to drag or lift it (damages floors).

I want to keep her, but given the restrictions of availability for space to put a larger enclosure (the largest area in my house would be my kitchen table), outside of the lack of funds at this time I'm more concerned for her long term well being.

Should I see if any of the larger animal shelters, or representatives from the local reptile show can rehome her safely, or should I try something else. She usually basks on her grapevine branches when I open the enclosure doors on the weekend, but I'm thinking of long term welfare here.

Please advise.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Didn't have time to lizard proof the furniture in the bedroom, so blocked off the bathroom. Left her a dish of salad, and one of her hide cave areas. The bathroom and sink areas are tiled that's why we're trying this while I'm gone. One of the doors was removed due to how it set next to another one right next to it so I blocked it as best as I can with two sterilite containers. The tile will also make any accidents easy to clean up. It's also the safest room in the house for her to roam in.

Hopefully she can't figure out a way to climb over them, because I realized after I let the house as I was running late for work, that I hadn't closed the doors to the walk in closet (facepalm).

I put her in the top rack of my shower cady today (which had nothing in it). Little minx jumped from there to the shower curtain rod and walked back and forth on it during my shower. Was able to get her off and move her to the tub while I set up things.

Will let you know how things go. There are two windows that can shine light into the bathroom from the bedroom so I had put her hide in the range of the light as my condo gets afternoon sun.

Will keep you posted.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well because I didn't have a completely closed off exit corridor, Kohaku did escape to the bedroom, but thankfully not into the walkin closet. I have to clean the gift she left under my dresser tomorrow. I've moved her back to her enclosure.

Going to have to figure out another solution if i let her out. Founder perched on top of one of the envelopes that have collectable books from Babylon 5 books (autographed and stuff) inside, but no gifts were inside those packages.

If i can find a way to seal off the bathroom better, i might be able to leave her there during the day without having to put the door back up again as i'd have to carry it from my detached garage inside and up two flights of stairs...Something i'm pretty sure i couldn't do on my own.

Hope everyone's having a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom