What is wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brodie67

Hello, I just got my beardie today I fed him 2 times already he ate all but one cricket because it was large and I removed the cricket. I went to pet him and he started to open his mouth and back away and run around, does anyone know what happened? I think I woke him up when he was sleeping or something I am also wondering what I should do to fix this problem I don't want him to be mean or anything he also seems kind of nervous. Please reply!

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
:roll: That my friend, is called, "Your beardie is being a brat 'cuz a didn't get his way syndrome" It's very serious. I'll talk about that in a little while. Anyway......

:blob5: :blob8: Welcome to Beardeddragon.org! :blob8: :blob5:

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
When they are new arrivals to your home, they can be nervous because they don't know you yet and aren't really sure if they are safe with you. Give him/her time to settle in and then go from there.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
As hailey said dragons have incredible personalities and can just be brats some times.
With your little one being so new he is probably still sizing you up. The open mouth and backing away is a sign that he sees you as a threat.

Be sure not to approach him from behind or the side, this is predatory behaviour. When you approach him lay your hand flat in his tank infront of him so he can see you arent there to grab at him. If you need to pick him up for baths etc slide your hand under his belly from the front. He's likely to stay the calmest if you use this approach.

Also whilst you are getting used to eachother it can work wonders to put one of your old tshirts inside his viv (do wear it for an hour or so before hand to give it your aroma). This way he will get used to your smell in a non threatening manner.

Remember even if he starts grumpy behaviour with you it can always be rectified.
I rescued an adult who was practically feral, she bit me, hissed at me and scratched me. But with a month or so of hard work she turned into the most affectionate cuddlebug around.
So there is always hope ^_^

Congratulations on your new baby.

Holly

brodie67

Original Poster
Thank you alot I think he is getting used to the new cage and home I got to pick him up he seems more calm.

Tatty

Juvie Member
Make sure the prey you feed him is no larger than the space between his eyes or you can end up with a problem called terminal indigestion which is usally always fatal or causes rear leg paraylsis.

Tatty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom