What is with these lights, blowing up after only a week!??!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livey

Extreme Poster
I have 4 cages, all with basking lights...AND they all seem to blow up after only a few weeks!
now im getting sick of this! i use the exo terra ones..
and i was just wondering if there are any better bulbs out there??
that they either sell in the UK. or deliver to...
thank you!

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Use the Arcadia... tubes but they won't blow... Or rather shouldn't... if that does happen, perhaps you should look a bit deeper into the wiring of the house ?
Janie

Livey

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
It cart be the wiring as my partner is an electrcian lol..
the aracdia sell the basking bulbs? as i thought they just sold UV tubes..

LJean

Extreme Poster
Can you try just a regular household bulb for heat? That is what I use. They are cheaper.

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
Just a suggestion,but try regular household bulbs,that's all I've ever used.Just try different wattages until you get correct temps.It's cheaper than spending alot on basking bulbs.
Sara

Fogles

Juvie Member
Those exoterra blow all the time.

I went with megaray with the limited warranty, let's see how long it lasts. haha.

OgleRpets

Sub-Adult Member
We just use regular household bulbs on all our tanks. :D Some use 60watt some use 75watt and one uses 100watt.

Livey

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
what would you recomened for a 4ft cage? i use 100 wt currently so if i got a 100 w normally bulb it should do the trick?

RepsolRoss

I bought a MegaRay a couple weeks ago. Got it in, used it one evening, timer kicked on the next morning and POW, dead.

Cost me $13 to ship the blown bulb back. Bulb blows after <5 hours use and I have to spring for return shipping?

Received notification that another one shipped out. If this one blows, I will be done with them. So far I have $70 invested and have received about 5 hours use from a MegaRay in the last 2 weeks.

Fogles

Juvie Member
RepsolRoss":ff6d1 said:
I bought a MegaRay a couple weeks ago. Got it in, used it one evening, timer kicked on the next morning and POW, dead.

Cost me $13 to ship the blown bulb back. Bulb blows after <5 hours use and I have to spring for return shipping?

Received notification that another one shipped out. If this one blows, I will be done with them. So far I have $70 invested and have received about 5 hours use from a MegaRay in the last 2 weeks.

Have had my megaray for about a week and a half now, hasn't blown yet.
But my beardie seems to not open his eyes much? hmmmm.

You know, I had the same problem for a long time.

Turns out, it was the pet stores fault after all. The bulbs aren't supposed to be shaken a lot, and their shipping was lousy. I went to a reptile expo in Manchester, NH with a friend (back when I lived in NH) and one of the breeders told me that they also weren't supposed to be touched on the actual bulb. Now my pet store here has much better shipping and our bulbs last ages :]

Hope that helps a bit.

Thank goodness for the warranty. XD

Livey

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
LOl thats exaclt what my boyfriend said, dont touch it... it lasted longer that way..but not a massive amount lol

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
My T-Rex is doing well... its been going about 3 mths now... definatly stay aways from those exotera ones.... all of my busted, one even blew up and shattered all in my baby's tank scared the hell out of me...

Livey

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
:shock: exploding lights? no thanks :(
Im just gunna go to the pet shop tommoro and see what ekse they stock :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom