What is this? An egg?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
I went to feed jasmine today and found this in her viv. I have never bred my dragons so I have never seen an egg before. It looks kinda like one. At first I thought it was urate and when I squeezed it, it popped in my hand and yellow yolk like stuff was in it.
I got jasmine a few months ago and I have never had her with any of the males. I also felt her belly for more eggs and I don't feel anything in there. No bumps or anything. She is not fat either.
Think there might be more? She isn't scratching or anything.

3bb27ece.jpg

pudden318

Sub-Adult Member
it looks like an infertile egg. Try putting her in a laybin and see what she does. How old is Jasmine?

spyder79

Extreme Poster
Yes that is deffinately an egg. If she hasn't been around a male she is cycling infertile eggs. Just in case you dont know how to setup a lay bin im copying a writeup i have for info on setting one up appropriately.

also, you will want to give her a nice long warm soak, this will help relax her to help the eggs pass. Infertiles carry a higher possibility of issues due to normally being misshapen and very pliable. So without further adu here is the laybin writeup

30 gallon grey tupperware/sterlite container from Home Depot - $7
1 bag of all natural top soil from Home Depot or Garden Center -$8
You will need a 40 watt spot light bulb with brooder lamp - $13 (Both can be purchased from Home Depot for $4-$5 each)

Now you will need to moisten the top soil to until is very damp but not wet... I like to create a 45 degree hole in one corner of the container, and I place the female head first into that corner. Her instincts will take over from here provided the top soil or sand is warm enough. Don't use vermiculite it's not that good for digging, and it's expensive compared to sand or top soil in large quanities... So save the vermiculite for incubation of the eggs...

Before the female is placed in the lay box you need to cut a hole in the top of the lid so the 40 watt spot light can shine down inside of the bin for warmth... I cut my holes just slightly larger than the diameter of the bulb, and the brooder/lamp fixture will rest on top of the lid...

Once that's all set, your female will dig for up to 2 hours before laying... But if she's not to picky she will lay almost immediately after finishing her first hole. Now she may dig "test" holes, where she might lay 1-2 eggs on one hole, and decide she doesn't like that hole. Then cover those eggs up and move on to another hole where she might lay the remainder of the eggs. So be sure to check all of the corners of the bin before deciding you have all of her eggs.

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks guys. I would have set something up right away but I work nights and noticed it as I was tucking them in for the night. Gonna stop at the 24 hour walmart and pickup some supplies on the way home.

pudden318

Sub-Adult Member
i forgot about you working nights, did they guy u got her from say if she ever layed infertiles before.

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well ..I put her in the lay box yesterday and today and nothing...No more eggs. The guy I got her from said she did once lay a fertile clutch for him.
I will give her another day and put her back in her enclosure tmmrrw.
She is doing great...I put her in a warm bath , she pooped and I gave her a little sald and she gobbled it all up.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Just keep a close watch.
Try to find out how long ago that clutch was. Im reaching but it may have been a left over so to speak.

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
So last night I found another bad egg in her enclosure. I put her back in the laybox last for the night and I found 7 more bad ones.
She is looking really skinny to me and I weighed her. She is 415 Grams . She was 550 grams a week ago. Here tail looks thing and bony to me.
I have never had any dragons lay eggs or mated any of them before so I would not know if this is normal . What should I give here to get her weight back on? I dont really want to do pinkies as I've read elsewhere.

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I have supers but she won't look at them anymore. She eats her salad daily though. Gonna order hornworms tonight.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Just to add you should also give her a bath every day for the next few days just to get her rehydrated.How often are you giving calcium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom