What is the best place to purchase phoenix worms online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadwick757

Hatchling Member
I purchased some phoenix worms at a local reptile show to try on my beardie. Now we are both hooked on the little buggers. Looking online i have found some big price differences and I question the dependability of some of the providers. So what is the best and lowest cost phoenix worm suppliers?

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
http://www.phoenixworms.com is the source for (I believe) all phoenix worms. We order directly from them. They send them priority mail, so you have them in a few days, and they do not charge for shipping. Got 400 a couple of weeks ago, and they've all been great, so far.

I ordered our first batch from Mulberry Farms, but of course, their provider is phoenixworms.com so the worms were exactly the same, might as well get them directly from the source. I had to pay for shipping with Mulberry, and they took a full week to arrive.

Hope this helps!

Em

sixxmum

Hatchling Member
Are they ok for 10 inch dragons? What size? Do I need anything special to take care of the worms?

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
sixxmum":37f1d said:
Are they ok for 10 inch dragons? What size? Do I need anything special to take care of the worms?

PWs are very small, good for small dragons. :mrgreen: Our 7-8 inch dragon enjoys the mediums (and has since she was about 6 inches), and I think she will for awhile yet. The large ones aren't that much bigger really, but they are closer to the end of their life span, so they don't tend to last as long.

We're keeping with the mediums for as long as we can.

Em

sixxmum

Hatchling Member
This worm business makes me want to hurl on my shoes. :puke:
When I get these, should I just put some on top of their veggies? Are the worms going to end up all over the enclosure. Dangnabbit!

UTreptiles

I feed my beardies the PWs in a separate dish and they are usually gone in a matter of seconds. Don't feed too many at a time or they could have problems digesting them fully. The worms are rather slow moving so I don't think they will go all over the viv if you don't put too many at once.

Youkai

Hatchling Member
The worms come in this sawdust like material which I've read (and can confirm) is not harmful to your beardie. You still want to try to get most of it off, but its ok if there's still some on them.
You shouldn't have to worry about them crawling everywhere if they are in a container with smooth sides. A lot of people will put the worms in water to wash off the packing stuff but that's where you'll run into trouble because if the worms get wet then they can climb a LOT better!!
Other than that, there's not much else to worry about as far as keeping them.

As people have already posted, PW.com is the best place to get them. The worms are "fresher" since they're coming straight from the manufacturer (or breeder?) and I swear that PW.com over packs the containers. I've never received 400 when I ordered 400, there always seems to be a lot more.
Their customer service is outstanding and their worms are the best.

Personally, I'm grossed out by all bugs and worms but the PW's haven't really bothered me much. I'm sure you'll be fine with them once you deal with them for a bit..

If you do find your beardie is eating them too quickly and not digesting properly (whole worms in their poop), someone else here suggested poking them with a pin so your beardies stomach acids can get into the worm easier and help them digest. Seems like an excellent idea, albeit a slightly gross one.. :mrgreen:

HTH

dna14

Sub-Adult Member
Our dragon LOVES phoenix worms! She will eat them out of her salad but she prefers us to pick them out and feed them to her on the inverted lid from the PW container, or on our hands. She's a picky veggie eater so we have worked out this arrangement: For every 10 worms she eats off the lid, we put a piece of squash (or veggie of the day) on the lid and she has to eat it before she can have more worms. It's pretty cute, she actually is showing some enthusiasm about her veggies because she has learned if she eats it she gets more worms! We have previously ordered from mulberry farms but will place our next order through phoenixworms.com and see how it goes, we can get 600+ for less than we paid for 400 through mulberry after shipping! Thanks for the advice :study: this website and the contributors, rock! :blob8:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom