What is going on???

Status
Not open for further replies.

LizrdLady

Hello everyone,
I have 2 beardies (housed seperatly) a male and a female. Both of them have 60 gallon tanks on carpet with MVB bulbs (I have used PowerSun and MegaRay) Basking temp in both is approx 110-113. Cool side is approx 80-87. They are fed Dubia's (I raise) squash (butternut,yellow)-turnip greens-collards-zucchini- etc....) The male is approx 1 year old and the female is 8 months old. My problem is with my male.

He did very well up until December. He started to go through I guess brumation to where he went into his cave for about a week with no eating at all. So I got him out one day and bathed him (hydration) and to wake him up a bit to see if I could get him to eat. He ate 3 small-med sized Dubia's and went back into his cave after he basked for about an hour. Then he slept for another week and I repeated the same proceedure. He has done this up until March. Then one day he got up and stayed up by himself for 3 day's only eating 5 roaches in all 3 day's. I took him to the vet and they gave him a calcium shot and checked his fecal. Everything came back OK but the vet did decide to give him a dose of Panacur... (she said just to be safe) He went back to his same routine of going into the cave for entire month of April with me occasionally checking-bathing-force feeding more or less. His poo appears to be normal when he does go (not to runny or smelly just firm). Now were in May and I have got him up to go outside for some great weather and he seems to really enjoy outside but his appetite is still poor. The minute I put him in his cage he goes directly to his cave.
I have removed the cave and he goes BALLISTIC.... Litterally scratching the glass, head butting the glass-pawing the carpet to get underneath it-anything to hide. He eats enough to just stay alive more or less.
Another problem I am having is he is smart. He knows what a calcium covered roach looks like versus a plain roach and he will go for the plain roach everytime! I use Rep-Cal and occasionally I do HerptiVite. I cant get him his calcium as much as I want too and I complained about this to the vet so she gave him a calcium injection. He will not touch pheonix- butterworms or silkies and I'm just about at my wits end with this guy.
ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE SO APPRECIATED.

Lennifer

Juvie Member
Were u offering a probiotic while u were giving him his meds? The meds that the vets give can sometimes be rough on there systems & can take away all the good bacteria. I would try using a probiotic to help boost his appetite & it will also help introdue the good bacteria back into your beardi'e system. U can order a bottle of Acidophiliz+ for $5 from Beauiful Dragons.com (no spaces). This is what the website says regarding thsi product....

In my opinion, Acidophiliz+ by Pet Authority is the best way to introduce good bacteria back into your reptile's system. After a round of antibiotics or antiparasitic meds, the good bacteria is most likely at a very low level or possibly even wiped out. This is when opportunistic bacteria and fungus take hold, which can result in Yellow Fungus Disease or bacterial infections.

The good bacteria needs to be replaced in order to turn the digestive track around. I used to rely on yogurt until I found out that bearded dragons cannot properly digest dairy products. So I've switched to this fantastic product. It has a great taste that my beardies love!

You can also purchase some bee polin capsules from any health store & sprinkle it over his/her greens. I used both of these items for Drago when he was on meds & it def helped with his appetite!

~Sandy

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Temps of 110-113 seem a little high for a juvie. At a year old it should be around 100-105, saying that my Gizmo prefers it at 107! Perhaps it is a little too hot and he is trying to hide from it?? Where was the cave (cool or warm side?) And was he sleeping inside or awake sometimes?

Lennifer

Juvie Member
I must have missed the part about the calcium issues. lol! U can order liquid calcium from Beautiful Dragons.com as well. Since it's in the liquid form...u can just use a syringe & drop a few drops on his nose. It's fruit flavored so hopefully he will like the taste! This is $8 a bottle.

~Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom